Grafting right now?

brownmolaMay 29, 2013

Hello, I have a Satsuma Plum that is very healthy but doesn't produce much fruit and would like to add more scions to it. I successfully grafted a Beauty scion onto it but everything was just breaking dormancy. I would say that 85% of the Satsuma Plum has fully leafed out. I just found a possible source for getting a few more free plum scions right now.

Is it too late to graft? If not, any advice on grafting onto branches that are already leafed out? Should I graft onto new wood from the past 2 months of growth or should I stick with last year's wood? Should I remove the leaves on the donor branches?

I can only do cleft grafts as all the other grafts I've never had success with.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fabaceae_native

From the extremely little I understand about grafting (on the practical side at least), the answer to your question will depend not on your Satsuma, but rather on your scion wood. A lot of experienced people on this forum have advocated waiting to graft until the rootstock is actively growing, AS LONG AS THE SCION IS DORMANT. Sounds like that's the key right there. Seems like it might be hard to get dormant scion that is still in good condition this time of year, but I have no idea.

Of course you could also try budding during the growing season, without having to find dormant scion wood.

Bookmark   May 29, 2013 at 11:52AM
More Discussions
Are these roots that are forming on a callery pear cutting in water?
As you may know, i took cuttings of a flowering pear...
tlbean2004
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
My Backyard planting experience (so far) - Zone 4a/b Quebec, Cana
Hello all, When starting out I have found this forum...
hungryfrozencanuck
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
First Bench Grafts Using a Fieldcraft Topgrafter
Hi all, I've been patiently waiting for signs of life...
gardener365
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™