Plum won't set fruit

tlwahlMay 7, 2012

Several years ago I had an Italian plum (probably Stanley, but don't know for sure) that was self-fertile and produced good plum crops about 2 years in 5. Before moving I saved some seeds and managed to start a new tree from seed. Growing on its own root, this new tree is now about 10 years old and 6-7 ft tall. This year it bloomed profusely for the first time and appeared to set fruit. Small plums about 1 mm diameter were all over the tree. I watched these closely and after about a week (plums approaching 2 mm diam.) plums started dropping off. I think they are all gone now. I don't think they froze, but we did have one morning when we reached 32 for about an hour.

I'm wondering if my experiment in growing this tree from seed is a failure. Was the seed I planted able to produce a tree, but not one that can itself produce fruit? I'll give this tree another chance next year, but if it keeps doing this I'll eventually give up on it. I am going to plant a gage plum nearby this spring to serve as an additional pollinator.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

This would be interesting on what you might have.
I wouldn't give up, light frost could do it, most likely a pollination issue.

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 2:00AM
alan haigh

I wouldn't give up on it. E. plums are very mysterious about fruit set and some years flowers don't lead to fruit. I think it would be unlikely you've bred the fruitfulness out of the variety from a self fertilized seed.

However, a second variety might help. Self fruitfulness of plums is less reliable than cross pollinization with a compatible variety.

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 5:23AM
mrsg47(7)

Hi, I too have an Italian Plum, not a Stanley. This is the first year it has blossomed and I cannot find a picture on the internet of shuck-split Italian Plums. How long did it take your plums to get to 1mm in diameter. I can already tell, after petal drop that some of the stems are weaker and will fall off. I hope they all do not. I did read an article from a major university, stating that when European plum trees blossom for the first time, the chances of it dropping all fruit is very good. Sad but true. I feel your pain. Mrs. G

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 7:00AM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

I have a Purple Gage that is ten years old and still no fruit. I did mis-prune it for several years, but the tree is very late to bear genetically.

Scott

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 9:41AM
More Discussions
avacado seed help ASAP
So I chose the damp paper napkin method to get my seed...
Trisha Stewart
Loquat tree
My darn tree has stopped sending energy to the fruit....
tim45z10
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
Are these roots that are forming on a callery pear cutting in water?
As you may know, i took cuttings of a flowering pear...
tlbean2004
Grafting thin scionwood?
I just received an order of scionwood from Tim Strickler...
jbclem
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™