Pear ,Apple, Stone Fruit, Zone or Chill Hours

captaininsanoMay 21, 2013

I have heard it said that chill hours and zone requirements can be slightly over looked on apples, and to stick to them on stone fruit, but what about pears? I am in zone 9b in Arizona and would like to try pears, I have Asian pears but would like to try the commonly found Bartlett, Anjou or Bosc pears but the highest rating for them is zone 8, is it ok to fudge when it comes to pears?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

I've never heard one way or another on the higher chilling pears in a low chill area. That makes me think you'd be way safer with things like Flordahome and Hood.

We are quite a bit cooler than you here, about 700-800 hrs below 45F. But it's the same type weather as much of AZ, mild days and cold nights in winter. Bosc and Comice took about 6-8 years to start bearing. The trees grow fine without the symptoms of lack of chilling that most apples show here.

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 12:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
AJBB(9b)

The handful of people that I know in Phoenix that have tried haven't been very successful. Despite 4 to 5 years on OHxF87, only one individual has been able to grow a handful of very small pears. In general, only select Asians and Asian hybrids (Kieffer), tend to produce in the Valley. Most of the time, with the exception of Kieffer, pears fail to size up, likely due to the heat. Out in the colder areas of Maricopa County (Wickenberg and north, around Yarnell), you can grow them.

Here is a link that might be useful: George Delange's Pear Orchard in Yarnell, AZ

This post was edited by AJBB on Tue, May 21, 13 at 15:41

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 3:36PM
More Discussions
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
How does well water with Rust affect pH?
We use well water with lots of rust in it. Will it...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
Help... pest eggs on orange fruits
Orange fruits got quite some eggs on them. I have searched...
funlul
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
Pictures missing!
Have you noticed, since Houzz took over allot of pictures...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™