Growing unusual varieties of strawberries is fun!

the15thwiseoneMay 11, 2012

I ordered several different types of strawberries that are unusual!

One such type is Merlan which is a pink flower clumping variety! I already had one of the large berries! pretty sweet and dark red!.

Another is a ornamental variety with dark red flowers which produces small bitter tasting berries, don't know the type but it could be related to pink panda.

I also purchased 2 different pine berry varieties. White D from burpee (pretty pricey at 9.99 a plant) and White Pine (less pricey and much larger plants than the White D variety from mike at the strawberry store). So far the White D are doing rather well in a mix of sweet peat with Garden potting soil. Very sandy and rich! The one berry on my White D plant looks almost exactly like the ones on the pictures only more white! Very excited to nab up some runners and start seeing berries in the pounds!

I also bought from burpee one Purple Wonder, then they sold out just after that! Couldn't get another one, however it is probably the biggest strawberry plant I own with several large healthy leaves and producing more! Doing great in a small half foot pot!

Anyone else try any other unique varieties? perhaps for trade? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Edymnion(7a)

I keep hoping for them to breed up a strawberry of a truly odd color, like blue. Alas, no progress yet. Even the "Purple" Wonder is really just dark red. =(

Bookmark   May 11, 2012 at 9:06AM
peachymomo(Ca 8)

I care more about flavor than color, the house I grew up in had a patch of native strawberries that were quite small and more flavorful than any other strawberry I've ever had - that's what I want to see offered. I got some Mara des Bois strawberries because they are supposed to be small and intensely flavored.

Bookmark   May 11, 2012 at 11:08AM
olympia_gardener(5)

I have yellow alpine strawberry, It bares very small berries but the flavor is very good, nice aromatic. Very hardy and easy to grow, no runners.

Bookmark   May 11, 2012 at 2:39PM
More Discussions
Cherry tree damage from storm
Top third of cherry tree snapped off by falling limb...
jimfnc7
Looks like no pears this year.
We have gotten a lot of chill hours this year for the...
insteng
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™