Is hypertufa cost effective?

ohioveggiesMay 20, 2010

For making rocks? I want to line my house beds with them but I dont want to start if it is going to end up costing to much. How much do you spend to mix up a whole large batch if you bought a bag of each ingredient?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
billie_ann(6b PA)

Depends on how many rocks, the size of the rock, which recipe you use, the cost of the product in your area, how many failed rocks you make and your labor. There's just no way to tell because of those variables. Billie

Bookmark   May 21, 2010 at 6:42AM
ohioveggies

riiight. I knew someone would say that. I just wondered if anyone felt is was cheaper than say just buying rocks and putting them down I guess.

Bookmark   May 21, 2010 at 2:26PM
billie_ann(6b PA)

It is probably cheaper to buy rock........BUT how much does rock cost in your area??? lol!
Look at it this way after buying all the ingredients, your labor to mix and mold, then waiting for them to cure, then your labor unmolding and cleaning and hoping they turn out and you like them, then placing them around your house.Is it worth all the time and hot sweaty labor? And how many rocks are you talking??
Go to quarry (that's where we go around here), pick out rock and have them delivered (or haul home yourself, oh god, I remember those days...last weekend) then place around your home. It's easier and you can match your house and you know their going to turn out.
Many of us make things because we enjoy the creativity and fun. Myself, I can't imagine making tons of rocks being fun.
Keep us posted if you do rock on. We'll cheer you on!

Bookmark   May 21, 2010 at 8:04PM
ohioveggies

I will be trying this out for sure. but after i finish planting and painting the gourds im selling and and and !! haha

Bookmark   May 23, 2010 at 11:46AM
club53

oh, good lord, buy the rock :>) Billie is right. It would be one of the 12 labors of Hercules to make a border out of hypertufa. I am from New England where rocks are a winter crop, and I would still buy them for a job like that.

Bookmark   May 23, 2010 at 7:13PM
Suzi AKA DesertDance

I got a ton of river rock you can have for FREE!!

Bookmark   June 7, 2010 at 12:28PM
ritaweeda

This is just too funny. I was steered to this forum from Florida Gardening and I was so excited to hear of this stuff, now I'm finding out it's expensive! And there are people who have real rocks up the you-know-what and are trying to give them away! You see, here in Florida, there are no rocks. (With the exception of limestone, which is usually all crushed up and spread on roads.) When we see rocks we touch them and exclaim over them, "oh, look at the rocks!" When I went to my birthplace in WV, the kinfolk looked at me and shook their heads when I rushed over to touch the rocks! But it's like the Northerners who come down here and get euphoric about sea shells and palm trees. We just shake our heads and avert our eyes from such nonsense.

Bookmark   June 14, 2010 at 7:17AM
granburyflowergirl(7)

LOL, I am trying to picture a "failed rock"...I imagine a failed anything else would become a rock or collection of rocks that I plan to use to line my beds.

Bookmark   June 14, 2010 at 11:39AM
More Discussions
Lichens on vinyl fence
LICHENS on VINYL FENCE: HELP! Having always wanted...
jimmie
cement gianna leaf for sale
I have reading all about how you make these cement...
twooofeathers
Has anyone used concrete letter stamps?
I bought some alphabet stamps for concrete stepping...
Fleur
making EASY roof for small tower
I am not sure if i can even do this, but, I want to...
poaky1
My hypertufa elephant planters and other projects
I used to work with plaster before I discovered hypertufa...
naturia
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™