codling moth traps

northwoodswis(4)May 12, 2010

Many years ago where I used to live, I made some traps for codling moths out of milk jugs with a cider, molasses, ammonia concoction in them. They would get a layer of drowned codling moths in them several inches thick. I now have apple trees again, so last year I found a couple recipes on the Internet, including one that uses banana peel, and hung out some traps. Didn't catch many moths. I assumed it was that the trees were young and many of my apples were bagged, so perhaps there weren't many moths around. I hung out several more jugs this spring, with no takers yet. Then tonight my daughter pointed out that the vinegar I have says "apple cider FLAVORED distilled vinegar." It is made from grains and contains no apples! I will go buy some different vinegar tomorrow and be sure it is really made from apples!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marknmt

I've been meaning to try that. Do you recall the recipe that was so successful?

Thanks,

Mark

Bookmark   May 12, 2010 at 6:03AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jellyman(6/7VA)

Northwoods:

I used the milk jugs with a mix of cider vinegar/molasses for a number of years when my orchard was young, and they worked pretty well. Caught a lot of moths, though I don't know how many were codling moths or oriental fruit moths but I am sure many were.

I just poured an inch or so of vinegar and a few tablespoons of blackstrap molasses and mixed well, then wired the jugs -- with big holes cut in the upper part -- to the trees. I did not add ammonia, since the fumes from vinegar alone seemed to do the trick.

Also used electric insect zappers in the orchard for quite a few years, and they killed a lot of moths also. Now I rely on early sprays followed by apple bagging for protection with good results. All of these methods work, more or less, and in most seasons. It's a matter of choosing the one that's the least work and you feel most comfortable with.

I'm not certain that switching vinegar types from grain to apple based will make a whole lot of difference. Maybe you don't have large numbers of moths yet.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

Bookmark   May 12, 2010 at 6:47AM
More Discussions
Lime Sulphur spray--I feel like I was just robbed by Hi-yield
I have no idea why Hi-yield (or maybe it's the sellers)...
dave_7b
Fuyu Persimmon
I purchased a fuyu last year from fast-growing-trees.com....
elizabethk1
Apple Tree Help - Thank you!
Hello, I have four different varieties of small (starting...
kailunkat
Blueberry leaves turning brown
The leaves of one of my southern highbush (Snowchaser...
julia_scheidt
plum truble
I have a gold plum tree aprox 5years old. It has always...
john zone 8
Sponsored Products
Tanglefoot Codling Moth Trap - 300000658
$13.99 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™