And now BLACKBERRIES!

reyesuela(z7a)May 6, 2012

What are your favorite varieties? I want, again, taste, season, and productivity.

I have room, again, for 12.

I'm in the mid-Atlantic.

Right now, I'm considering:

Choctaw

Kiowa

Obsidian

Navaho

Triple Crown

Doyle

Marion

Recommended for this area are:

Hull

Dirksen

Chester

Navaho

Arapaho

Apache

Darrow

Cherokee

Shawnee

Triple Crown

Chickasaw

You know, the UMD ag extension service seems kinda out of touch compared to Texas A&M's....or Oregon...or OSU...or Arkansas...or Purdue.... Sad.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canadianplant

I planted a "chester" last year. It stayed green all winter under the snow. Wont know how productive it is till this year. All I can tell you is that its damn hardy (especially under snow or mulch).

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 10:54AM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

Yes, don't bother with the UMD recommendations. I sometimes look at neighboring states (PA/VA/WV/NC/etc) for recs.

Triple Crown is considered the best all-around blackberry. Navaho seems to be #2 but I have never grown it. My impression is it is as tasty as TC but has the thorn disadvantage. The rest of the eastern berries are not in the same league for flavor.

The best tasting blackberries are the western trailing types, but they are often not hardy and are more difficult to grow since the canes want to grow along the ground and you need to lift and tie them up. I wouldn't recommend Marion, I grew it for five years and it would die back unless covered for the winter. You can cover it every winter if you want; I have too many growing projects to be covering anything. Marion is the best-tasting blackberry I ever found, and if you look up taste tests you will find the same results there.

My recommendation for a western type is Kotata, it has proved to be very hardy for me and is very tasty. It has a small % of raspberry in its heritage and that shows up in the flavor. So, if you want a 100% standard kind you may want a different one. I am growing several others, including Obsidian, but I don't have good hardiness data yet. Many of them have proved to be not hardy (Cascade, Logan, Black Pearl, etc) so its a bit of a crap shoot.

Scott

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 11:09AM
reyesuela(z7a)

I'm firmly 7a, not 6b at all (by Annapolis), and I think in a couple of other threads, you've talked about hardiness issues that aren't a problem for me.... So it might be that stuff is a BIT less marginal for me.

I'll definitely give Kotata a try!

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 11:52AM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

We aren't that far off, I am in zone 7 based on the actual temps at my house. I would have had more data this last winter since I have a dozen or so kinds of blackberries in the ground, but my lowest low was something like 13F, zone 8A temps!

Scott

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 2:52PM
lucky_p

Love my Kiowas - but they are thorny devils. Huge berry, good flavor.

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 4:48PM
More Discussions
Blueberry help!
What's going on with this blueberry bush? Is it going...
julia_scheidt
Beach Plum / Prunus Maritima Cultivation Questions
Hello all! I scarified a handful of seeds from beach...
liamkelly Zone 6b Rhode Island / 5b Massachusetts
My Spupreme plum turns into Alderman!
At Plant Hill Nursery! They don't have a email address,...
Konrad___far_north
WHO called glyphosate a "probable carcinogen"
More and more studies seem to be coming out against...
canadianplant
Restoring old and neglected apricot trees. Help!
We moved into a new home in the middle of last summer...
monibucky
Sponsored Products
Set of 4 Rosa Melamine Bowls
Ballard Designs
Free-Pad New Rust Wool Persian Runner 3' x 12' Heriz Serapi Hand Knotted Rug H32
BH Sun Inc
Beat Light Brass Pendant - Tall by Tom Dixon
$535.00 | Lumens
Mario Industries Lamp Replacement Parts 2-1/2 in. Pineapple Lamp Finial Bronze
$10.99 | Home Depot
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs Optics
Home Depot
Metallic Cell Shade Pendant Lighting
ParrotUncle
Rush Area Rug
Home Decorators Collection
Benedict Area Rug