Landscape fabric between berry rows?

dirtslinger2(6)May 18, 2012

I've got a half acre or mixed berries planted, all in rows of annually mulched raised beds.

As this is a lot of work I am hoping to simplify maintenance a bit. Plan was to mow but the grass is encroaching the berries much faster than I can manage it.

Would the heat generated from black fabric harm berries (blueberries/gooseberries/blackberries/currants etc etc)?

Any other issue you can think of? I figured on covering the ground in between rows, plus a swath all the way around the plot- but leaving rows exposed to allow mulch to be added. Just pegging it down and hoping the wind doesn't rip it up.

I don't like the idea of plastics or fabrics in the garden, but at least this breathes. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
planatus(6)

The problem I've had with landscape fabric is that weeds start growing on top of it and through it. I have one heavy-duty piece that covers one pathway, and each spring for four years I've ripped it up and flipped it over.

The plan that's emerged for us over a period of years is grass/clover mix in wide corridors, and deep sawdust/wood chip mulch for the berries and fruit trees. The few weeds that come up through the mulch get well trampled during picking season.

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 8:08AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dirtslinger2(6)

Are they growing on top of fabric even without mulch placed over it?

We've got a very unique situation here where weed seeds come in by the millions all the time, and if grass/clover are grown in between rows these weeds are tough enough to establish within and spread over in no time.
Hoped fabric could cut that back.

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 9:33AM
More Discussions
Can Apples grow in the tropics?
I was wondering if apples could really be grown in...
Axel
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
Fruit drop on Paw paw
Last year I pollinated by hand very thoroughly. I got...
johndoug
How does well water with Rust affect pH?
We use well water with lots of rust in it. Will it...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™