Will this plum tree grow here?

WeylynnMay 23, 2014

Six weeks ago I planted 4 cherry trees and 3 plum trees. I think the Italian plum trees will do fine where I live in northwest Wash. (Zone 5). I think the Bing and Tartarian cherry trees will do fine too. However, I bought a "Golden Plum" tree on sale ($12) and while researching it found it's also called a Spanish plum and primarily a warm weather plum tree. It's growing well and putting out beautiful bright green leaves. Can I take steps to help it survive the cold winters here, or should I dig it up while still small (5 ft.) and send it to a relative in California? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Bradybb(wa8)

Is your location in eastern Wa,Weylynn?Also,any more info about the Plum will be helpful,like the scientific name.Was it bought in Washington?
I tried to find out more about it online and found a few references,but not sure if they were your tree. Brady

Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 9:34AM
milehighgirl(CO USDA 5B/Sunset 2B)

I believe that it is illegal to ship stone fruits into California. You should probably check this out before you send anything.

Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 1:17PM
Weylynn

I am in northeastern Wash. The tag on the tree says Golden Plum and Ciruelo Dorado. The tree was bought locally at a garden center.

Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 2:40PM
milehighgirl(CO USDA 5B/Sunset 2B)

Ciruelo Dorado just means golden plum in spanish. It might be possible to find the grower by asking the nursery who their supplier is. That would give us more to go on.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plum variety

Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 3:23PM
Weylynn

The correct name for the tree is Spondias Purpurea. It is also known as a Jacotes or a Hog plum. It belongs in the cashew family and is native to the tropical regions of the Americas. I called the retailer. The supplier is Autumn Days Nursery out of Forest Grove Oregon. To get it through the winter, it may need a shelter.

Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 5:31PM
Weylynn

I've read the Golden plum does not handle frost well. We average 2 feet of snow every winter and temperatures average 20-30 degrees. Backyardnature.net has a good article on the Gold plum. I'd keep the tree if feasable. If not I could send it to Arizona, (if legal). The tree was planted 6 weeks ago, is currently thriving, and has beautiful emerald green leaves. It is approx. 5 ft. tall.

Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 6:06PM
Bradybb(wa8)

I'm kind of surprised they are sold there.That plum is tropical and is even iffy in southern Florida.It's definitely an indoor plant during the Winter for most US locations.
They can get big too. Brady

Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 9:58PM
Weylynn

Looks like I'll have to try and exchange the Gold plum for something else. Maybe a Rainier cherry, or give it to a park with a greenhouse.

Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 7:35PM
More Discussions
Trimming overgrown avocado tree then graft?
Dear gardenweb community, I am hoping to hear some...
funlul
Zone 5 fruit and nut trees Northeast, Nebraska
Hello, I have an acreage near Allen, NE and I would...
cheeta64
Will these plum tree buds be damaged by frosts we will have next week
This is my bruce plum tree. The buds have started to...
tlbean2004
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™