is this fireblight on Quince?

armyofda12mnkeys(7a, Philly, PA)May 18, 2012

Hey all,

Noticed some browning of my quince trees leaves on a few branches. Wasnt sure if it is fireblight or something else. Can anyone identify? I sprayed them with copper fungicide late winter/early spring, thought that could attempt to control fireblight.

Here are some pics to help identify (took them as sun setting so some not focused well, can try to take some better ones tomorrow after work if needed):

Thanks all!,

Ari

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trianglejohn

Whatever it is, I've got the same thing on my two quinces. Earlier in the year I pruned out branch tips that had obvious fireblight (black, limp). Then I pruned out all the branches that had cedar-quince rust. If this disease requires pruning I may never see fruit on these trees/bushes.

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 9:23AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

I believe this leaf browning is caused by fireblight. Fireblight has many different appearance modes and this is one of them. The reason why I am fairly certain that this is fireblight is it always shows up along with fireblight strikes of the more standard shepherds crook. I should probably be pulling these off but they don't look infectious to me so I usually just leave them.

Scott

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 11:04AM
More Discussions
Calling all Sweetcrisp owners!!!
Dear Sweetcrisp owners, Over here in Australia we are...
raadster
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
Help... pest eggs on orange fruits
Orange fruits got quite some eggs on them. I have searched...
funlul
Converting typhoon damaged hillside forest to blueberry plantation
Hello all We've recently obtained a small strip of...
theniceguy
Source for Hidden Rose Apple?
Looking for a tree or scions but seem to be coming...
jsvand5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™