Birdbath bowl --Pic

suezn5May 30, 2006

I've learned so much from this group. Thanks so much for all the great info you have posted. It's time to pay back by sharing a photo. I used Japanese primose leaves on a mound of plastic-covered sand to make this birdbath bowl and painted it with acrylic paints. I left the spray can in the pic so you can see how big it is. Frankly it is a little too big and too heavy for easy cleaning, so I'll probably try making another this summer. Please disregard any toes you see in the photo:)

Here is a link that might be useful: concrete birdbath bowl

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tulipfarmer(SW ON CAN)

Great Job on your birdbath and all your leaves as well!
Thanks for sharing the photos!
Laurel

Bookmark   May 30, 2006 at 10:00PM
brighteyes(7)

That is beautiful. I love how you laid out your leaves. I know what you mean about making it too big. I made one over a round snow sled and even if I could keep the cat out of it, it is way to big and deep. lol

Carey

Bookmark   May 30, 2006 at 11:21PM
lazydaisy(z7 NTX)

Very nice! I love the delicate look of the leaves.

Bookmark   May 31, 2006 at 3:26AM
billie_ann(6b PA)

Wow, I love that leaf that you used for the imprint. You did a great job on painting the bowl and your toes.
What color is that on your toes? lol! Billie

Bookmark   May 31, 2006 at 7:06AM
DebZone8(S.Puget Sound)

Sue, I love your birdbath bowl. The feathery texture of the leaf imprints and blue & green color make me think of peacock feathers. It's lovely.

Deb

Bookmark   May 31, 2006 at 10:17AM
gemfire(z9/10 AZ)

Very nice. I've been planning on trying a birdbath but wasn't sure what to use for a mold. Did you just pile up sand, lay thin sheet of plastic, place your leaves and spread hypertufa over it? How thick is it? More info please.

Thank You.
Pam

Bookmark   June 3, 2006 at 3:44AM
suezn5

Thanks for kind comments everyone.

Pam, I drew a circle the size I wanted the upper rim of the bowl on my work surface. Spread damp sand in it in a pleasing mound. Covered it with plastic. Sprayed the plastic with spray adhesive to hold all the leaves in the position I wanted. THey slipped off the mound if they weren't glued on a little. Starting in the middle I patted the concrete mix over the leaves making the first layer about a half inch thick. I used mesh drywall tape as a reinforcing middle layer, then covered it with more mix. It goes from about 1/2 to nearly 1 inch in the middle. As you can see in the pic, I got carried away a abit and forgot to keep my original circle in mind and it ended up not exactly round. I didn't use hypertufa because I wanted all the fine leaf veins to show and thought straight concrete would be better for that. I used one of the straight-from-the-bag mixes that I just added water to--can't remember exactly which one.

I agree with what so many have said on this forum--just give it a try and you will find out what works for you.
Sue

Bookmark   June 3, 2006 at 9:43AM
More Discussions
Response to 'Faux Bois Tools'...
You can use just about anything (and everything) you...
tango88
making EASY roof for small tower
I am not sure if i can even do this, but, I want to...
poaky1
Sand or no sand
This is one part of the various recipes that always...
ctquilter
Newbie: Color and Stamp fresh concrete - products & steps pls
Hi All, This is my 1st post - if in wrong forum, pls...
stylin
Concrete Sphere
Some pictures of a concrete ( portland and sand) sphere...
Mike Larkin
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™