Question about cherry trees

neptune24May 18, 2012

Four years ago, I planted two cherry trees--one Stella and one dwarf bush. Last year, the dwarf had a couple dozen cherries, and it's doing the same this year--it's now over 5 feet tall. The Stella is 7 feet tall, but it's not really yielding any fruit. This year, it had about a dozen flowers, but ended up producing only one small green cherry, which disappeared quickly before ripening.

Does it take forever for Stella to yield fruit? Are the bush cherries better in that regard? Thanks for any info.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Randy31513(Georgia 8b)

The warm, and sometimes hot, strange winter we had set you back this year I would guess. My Morello cherry tree did the same thing.

Same thing happened to two of my peach trees.

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 6:06AM
neptune24

Thanks, Randy. Sorry to hear about your trees. Can I ask you something else? Are there tons of fleas outside where you live? I've lived in GA for over 30 years and have never seen so many fleas outside as now. My guess is that our crazy March was the biggest culprit. I have to wear long pants just to go outside now.

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 7:56AM
ltilton

My Stella is a dozen years old and does the same thing. Loaded with flowers, little or no fruit. Last year, after I put in another cherry, it bore a couple gallons and I was hopeful. This year, nada.

MAYBE it was the weather, but the other cherry fruited abundantly.

I have my eye on the chainsaw.

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 9:15AM
Randy31513(Georgia 8b)

If you mean the gnats, yes they are as bad as I have ever seen them.

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 1:47PM
neptune24

That's bizarre about your cherry tree, ltilton. Maybe the Stella is only good for looks. :)

Randy, well the gnats too. But the fleas are so bad where I live that I can pick up a dozen just walking from the front door to the garage. No joke. They're everywhere. Each day, I kill at least a dozen that got dragged inside. I wear long pants and a long-sleeved shirt whenever I go outside now.

Bookmark   May 20, 2012 at 7:40AM
More Discussions
What type of grafting tape do you use?
Last year I used electric tape and got about 98% success...
Mike Hughes
Need late flowering pears?
Seems all of my pears are early flowering which is...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Trimming overgrown avocado tree then graft?
Dear gardenweb community, I am hoping to hear some...
funlul
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™