Che tree

yawineyMay 11, 2013

Anyone have experience with Che tree from hidden spings or other nurseries that do mail order? I'm in the North bay, CA.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
austransplant(MD 7)

I've got a Che from Edible Landscaping. Usually you need two plants for pollination, but Edible Landscaping claims their tree is self fertile. Last year it set quite a few fruit, though it lost most of them before they ripened, but I did get to eat a handful. It seems to take a few years (3-4) before it starts to reliably produce fruit. I am hoping that this year it will provide a decent crop. The fruit is quite tasty.

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 2:26PM
yawiney

Thanks. yes, self fruitful would be great. Was that handful of fruit the 1st or 2nd year? Did it come bareroot or potted?

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 4:21AM
lucky_p

Experiences - at least here in the eastern US - from a friend who's grown Che for nearly 2 decades, suggests that you don't need two; they will set fruit parthenocarpically. He initially planted both a 'male' and 'female'. Something happened and the 'male' died - but the 'female' continued fruiting unabatedly, so he never replaced the 'male' tree. YMMV over there on the left coast.
Hidden Springs is good; I've also purchased from Edible Landscaping, but it was over 15 years ago - have never heard any complaints about either outfit.

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 8:08AM
shane11

I have a tree from Edible landscaping that has been fruiting for at least 6 years. They will send you a containerized plant which I find much easier than dealing with bare root. The berries flavor remind me of watermelon, very sweet and no acidity.

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 10:45AM
More Discussions
stark bros apricot with pits that taste like almonds
Does anyone have experience with this apricot variety? http://www.starkbros.com/products/fruit-trees/apricot-trees/stark-sweetheart-apricot It...
Bushwhacker Blood
KNNN espalier planting
Hi - I just planted some 1 year bare root apple trees....
Jamie Cartwright
Apple Tree Help - Thank you!
Hello, I have four different varieties of small (starting...
kailunkat
Goji Berries, where to buy seeds?
Hey, so this is my second year gardening, last year...
M3rc_Nate
The legendary Angelcot tastes blah
For those of you who have not heard of angelcots, they...
Scott F Smith
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™