How many fruits should I allow on a small 'Tam Kam' Persimmon.

denninmi(8a)May 28, 2012

My little potted baby appears to finally set fruit, with abandon. It's only about 5 feet tall, and it has over 3 dozen blossoms that appear to have set and are beginning to grow.

Should I just leave them all, or remove some? And, if I need to thin, when? Kaki is completely new to me in this regard.

TIA!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
creekweb(6,7)

My experience has been that the first time that these fruit most if not all of the fruit will be aborted by the tree. So I would say just leave them on and let the tree decide what to keep.

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 4:41AM
denninmi(8a)

Thanks. This is the third spring it has bloomed, but they always fell off very quickly after the flower died. This year seems different, as only a couple of flowers did that, and most fruits appear to be growing.

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 6:48AM
alexander3_gw(6 Pennsylvania)

I have a Tam Kam in the ground, currently about 8 feet tall. It has had crops of 2, 4, 7, and 35 fruits. Each year it has dropped developing fruit until they were an inch or so in size. This year it has more flowers than ever and put on several inches of shoot growth, so as far as I can tell, this variety does not tend to overbear, which would put it into a biennial bearing pattern.

Alex

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 7:19AM
denninmi(8a)

Well, I guess I won't know for a while. I'll just have to watch it, and keep my fingers crossed that at least some go all the way.

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 9:48AM
indicente

how is it with Tam Kam hardiness? Do you make winter protection for tree? I would like to grow this variety, but I am wondering if it is enough hardy for my climate with temperatures down to 0 F. i have read positive info about this new korean variety, should be non-astringent and good producer.

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 11:45AM

indicente, my Tam Kam has taken 0 F with no damage.

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 10:45PM
indicente

alexander3

thank you for your reply. so Tam Kam is pretty cold hardy and I am going to buy this variety next year. Please, post picture of Tam Kam ripe fruits in the autumn. Just to see size and shape.

Bookmark   August 31, 2012 at 8:10AM

I posted some pics a couple seasons ago

Here is a link that might be useful: pics of Tam Kam persimmons

Bookmark   August 31, 2012 at 10:32AM
indicente

Amazing pics.And what about taste of fruits,it s the same as by Fuyu PCNA types?Look very attractive and productive...I hope,that plants will be available next spring here..And I want to test cold hardiness later.

Bookmark   September 2, 2012 at 6:29AM
More Discussions
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Trimming overgrown avocado tree then graft?
Dear gardenweb community, I am hoping to hear some...
funlul
Damage to Honeycrisp tree (photo)
I planted this Honeycrisp apple tree a week ago and...
Edwin Turlington
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™