So I found this black Strawberry plant...

the15thwiseoneMay 3, 2012

I've been looking for a REALLY dark fleshed strawberry, and fell upon a link online that described black strawberry as a delicacy in Europe around the 1800s. These berries all but were elusive on my search until i came upon these seeds from china.

The seeds are a light green and the fruit changes to black upon ripening...the leaves are the same color as the seeds, kinda looks...spooky just about as spooky as a pineberry.

Here is the Link:

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/551330044-About-100Pcs-Pack-Strawberry-Fruit-Black-Strawberry-High-Survival-Home-Garden-Free-Shipping-wholesalers.html

Look real or fake? This item has several transactions so..i can tell you most of them are positive feedback!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denninmi(8a)

The picture looks photoshopped/color adjusted. If the green were a more natural green in the photo, I'd say maybe, but to me, looks like a bad color adjustment in photoshop. Probably a quite dark burgundy/red/purple when ripe, but I doubt it's that black.

I'm voting "fake". Would someone try to cheat the consumer with false advertising? Perish the thought.

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 6:13AM
the15thwiseone

There are 2 reviews that are 5 stars, and im guessing the color accuracy wasnt an issue! it looks alien like for sure but black strawberries have existed before in eurasia so this might be one of the remaining population. the other one ive personally seen is a black with purple seeds. Or black with white seeds. true black fruit are rare even in such a fruit with such variance of color like the strawberry.

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 5:16PM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Well, clearly the color has been altered. And, the 2 reviews don't mean much of anything, they could easily be submitted by the seller, no guarantee that what this Chinese seller is selling indeed looks like this (highly doubtful). Of course you can alway buy some, grow them and find out. You're asking us on the forum if this is "real or fake". Denninmi and I are both saying "fake". Or at least, certainly not this "fake" colorized photo clearly Photoshopped. Perhaps a darker burgundy, but not this color.

Patty S.

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 7:25PM
More Discussions
Is San Diego just behind with the flowering??
Any San Diegans or southern Californians here? I see...
brownmola
Zone 5 fruit and nut trees Northeast, Nebraska
Hello, I have an acreage near Allen, NE and I would...
cheeta64
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
Last year I had no nectarines
What have I done right with this tree to give me so...
mrronny
Extreme Cold
Looks like I won't be seeing any peaches and plums...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™