Ants causing problems on Cherries?

yawineyMay 25, 2013

I am still trying to figure out if it is disease or pests destroying the new growth on my 1st yr cherries. I have posted some pics before but so far havn't figure it out. The buds of the young leaves dry up and turn brown before they come out. The leaves that mature look healthy. There are 4 varieties in 1 huge raised bed. The utah Giant is doing well. The other 3 are in dire straits.
There has been these tiny red balls on the leaf stems. On some they are tan/yellow. After bird netting i noticed ants walking up and down limbs and doing something at those little nodules. I had seen these little nodules on cherry leaf stems before and thought they were normal.
BTW the utah G. has the little nodules too and it has been able to put up a canopy. Please help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
goyo626 S.Cal.8b/SZ20

Is it like these pictures? If so dont worry about it. I think they are called stipules but they are little sugar bumps that ants love to eat. They eat the sugar in the glands and leave the leaves alone also i believe they will attack any aphids that are on the tree. I wouldn't worry about about the ants too much unless you start seeing leaf damage. If it is not the bumps on the pic then someone else may be able to help you.

edit: Obviously if the ants are harming the fruit or the tree check some of the posta on this forum regarding ant control.
As to the new tender growth browning and shriveling up, has it been hotter than usual? I notice the new growth on my cherry shrivel and die when the sun gets too harsh. If it is not the sun, someone more experienced can help you.

This post was edited by Goyo626 on Sat, May 25, 13 at 11:48

Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 11:39AM
yawiney

That's exactly what i'm talking about. Thanks. I thought it was normal and the ants don't seem to be doing any harm, just getting desperate here. I could try shade cloth, It is a full sun spot. Any other suggestions would be helpful

Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 12:11PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Not stipules. Instead, nectaries.

Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 2:23PM
More Discussions
Has anyone elses asian pear (20th century) come out of dormancy?
Everything else is going gangbusters but there isn't...
fireballsocal
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
First Bench Grafts Using a Fieldcraft Topgrafter
Hi all, I've been patiently waiting for signs of life...
gardener365
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™