deformed growth in pear

Noogy(6 sw mi)May 11, 2013

Super weird. Last years growth had a flattened rectangular quality. The buds that grew from that plant material has replicated it's stem structure and the new shoots are thin, flattened and the leaves coming out are looking like a switch broom! My camera is charging and am going to post a picture. It's on a hosui. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

There is a name for that which I unfortunately cannot remember now. Lucky knows what it is. I have gotten it several times and I pruned it off and regular shoots grew back. My vague memory is that some people are concerned that it can spread; I never had more than isolated instances of it.

Scott

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 7:23AM
Noogy(6 sw mi)

I wonder if it's related to the mechanisms which initiate sports of a different phenotype. I also wonder if it's something in the environment flipping switches in the physiology and phenotypic expression of the genes. The fact that it replicated from one season to the next is interesting. Time to prune!
Thanks!

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 7:45AM
Noogy(6 sw mi)

There's FB in my yard. Could I apply a little 3xantibiotic ointment on the cut? I have copper too, but recall toxicity issues. Am I too careful in this case? Thanks

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 8:20AM
lucky_p

Fasciation. look it up.

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 8:51PM
Noogy(6 sw mi)

Thanks Lucky! That's super interesting! First thing I thought was ...a virus is responsible...

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 9:57PM
lucky_p

Had to hit and run earlier. If you googled up images, you see it happens in many plant species.
I've seen it from time to time in pecan/walnut/hickory, as well as pear - and probably in some non-woody annuals.
Have never intentionally tried to propagate fasciated stuff - though there are probably some folk - like those who seek out witches' brooms - who'd be interested in trying.

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 11:32PM
mrsg47(7)

I saw it on Rose bushes.

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 9:17AM
More Discussions
Looking for really early (blooming) pear
I have a Hood pear that blooms very early, usually...
jbclem
First Bench Grafts Using a Fieldcraft Topgrafter
Hi all, I've been patiently waiting for signs of life...
gardener365
mango seed ..is it dead?
The Whole outside of it is black .. Is it dead? I looked...
Trisha Stewart
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™