Is this a Hood pear?

2010champsbcsMay 8, 2014

As many of you do I obtain grafts from other people and put them on my plants. To my pleasant surprise it has two pears going into it's second leaf. This is from my dwarf interstem tree and the fruit and leaf looks different from my other pear varieties. Can anyone determine if this is a hood pear?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
copingwithclay

It would take someone who can "name that tune" after only hearing one note of a tune.....to ID that baby pear by variety. Other than that, when the pear gets full size, becomes very slightly yellowish, and is barely compressable when you poke a fingertip against the side, take a chomp out of it. If it has no grit cells, is sweet, and has a 10% pineapple component to the flavor, it just might be a Hood. Another way to get a clue about this pear is to check the flowering time in early Spring, and if it begins flowering before any other pears around, it just might be a Hood. Yet another clue is that it is very unlikely to get any fireblight. And yet another clue is that the leaves sometimes can get leaf spot.

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 5:45PM
2010champsbcs

copingwithclay. Thanks for the help. You did well with the limited information that I could provide. Fireblight is a huge issue in central Alabama. I now have five varieties that are supposed to be blight resistant.

Bookmark   May 9, 2014 at 6:44AM
lucky_p

Just be aware that 'resistant' does not mean 'immune'. You can - and probably will - still get some FB hits on these pears. Small, young trees could potentially be taken out, if you don't get ahead of it, but older mature trees can often withstand it.
If you look at old Keiffer pears throughout the countryside, they often have multiple 'shepherd's crook' fireblight hits throughout the canopy every year, but seem to limit it's spread, and go right along bearing heavy crops

Bookmark   May 9, 2014 at 2:09PM
More Discussions
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Are these roots that are forming on a callery pear cutting in water?
As you may know, i took cuttings of a flowering pear...
tlbean2004
How to shape this Grape Vine
Here is a grafted Perlette Grape Vine growing in it's...
dan8_gw (Northern California Zone 9A)
Source for Hidden Rose Apple?
Looking for a tree or scions but seem to be coming...
jsvand5
Looking for really early (blooming) pear
I have a Hood pear that blooms very early, usually...
jbclem
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™