gooseberry drama

jkiac(5)May 23, 2014

hey everyone, i put in a bunch of gooseberries last year that where supposed to be disease "resistant" and by august many of them where completely defoliated. i assumed it was leaf spot and this year i started spraying with a copper based spray (Bordeaux).
I've been trying to time the spraying for after the rains so that it'll stay on the plants for a few days before being washed off. anyway, this week the leaf spot just BLOOMED! so my question is---does this look like leaf spot to you guys? am i spraying for the wrong thing? any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm pretty new to gooseberries but have high hopes. james

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ericwi

I don't grow gooseberries, but I used to grow red currant, and your shrub looks just like the currant bushes when they were affected by rust, which I think is a fungal infection. I never sprayed with Bordeaux, but it looks to me like this treatment is working for you. The plant looks pretty healthy, if not perfect. You must be doing something right.

Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 2:58PM
jkiac(5)

thank you for your response! i know that gooseberries and currants are related so it might be rust. i'll keep spraying and praying ;-) james

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 9:30AM
milehighgirl(CO USDA 5B/Sunset 2B)

I got a kick out of your title. I've never thought gooseberries to be dramatic:)

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 2:42PM
More Discussions
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
My First Grape Vine - Need Help!
I just purchased my very first grape vine (concord)....
lekennedy4
Damage to Honeycrisp tree (photo)
I planted this Honeycrisp apple tree a week ago and...
Edwin Turlington
Zone 5 fruit and nut trees Northeast, Nebraska
Hello, I have an acreage near Allen, NE and I would...
cheeta64
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™