Curculio populations down in east this year?

Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)May 10, 2014

I have yet to see a single curculio scar or to see an actual critter. Usually by now I have found some isolated spots that got nailed, and have seen a couple of them on fruits. At this point my apricots are dime or so and many apples are pea sized. It looks like there might be an upside here to the hard winter.

Scott

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alan haigh

That their late?

Kidding.

Bookmark   May 10, 2014 at 8:04AM
rayrose(8)

You're fortunate because I'm seeing more hits than last year on my plums and peaches.

Bookmark   May 10, 2014 at 8:37AM
olpea(zone 6 KS)

Lots of hits here in KS. I thought I had a bit more time before spraying until I went out and saw the :-) faces on plums and cherries. Looks like you and I are at about the same stage of fruit development Scott. Apples are pea sized here.

Bookmark   May 10, 2014 at 9:33AM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

Interesting. One thing that is unusual about this spring is we have not had any warm still nights yet, that is when they are by far the most active. Maybe the weather has been on my side. I also sprayed the first coat of Surround a bit earlier than usual. Will need to make sure to not let my guard down.

Scott

Bookmark   May 10, 2014 at 10:19AM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

As usual, as soon as I post here they decide to show up. I found one apple and half a dozen apricots with bites. I think the arrival of warmer nights is just now getting them going. After the current rain they get a nice thick Surround welcome mat!

Scott

Bookmark   May 10, 2014 at 1:55PM
ltilton

We've had one warm curculio night this spring, but no fruit for them to molest. Maybe they'll leave and seek out fruitier pastures.

Bookmark   May 10, 2014 at 3:33PM
franktank232(z5 WI)

Nothing here, but then again I'm at bloom on the plums, pluots and peaches. Apples are just showing red... I have seen pear and apple blossoms being chewed on...and i'm pretty sure I've read that PC can eat blossoms/////yes/no???

Bookmark   May 10, 2014 at 4:31PM
More Discussions
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™