Trying Tulle This Year (for blueberries)

resist(z7 VA)May 5, 2013

I have tried the bird netting before and by the time I got the tangled mess over the blueberries and later freed birds from it I swore never to use it again. The following year I made a cage out of chicken wire and staked it to the ground. Took awhile but it looked great! Went out a few days later and my berries were almost gone. Low and behold a fat chipmunk was going thru the holes and eating them! So this year I am going to try tulle. I read where people posted it gets too hot. I only have one bush because the other one died and it is full of flowers this year. So, if this doesn't work I will just make a sign that says "Please Do Not Eat the Blueberries!"

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alan haigh

I say, stick with the chicken wire and put a netting over that for chipmunks if you do not want to trap them out. If plants are still flowering when tulle goes over bees won't bet in. It also interferes with air-flow.

I use chicken wire and trap them out every year before the berries are ripe. Some use rat wire on lower couple of feet which tends to discourage them.

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 10:05AM
More Discussions
Bareroot pruning of a multi-branched nectarine?
Just picked up a bareroot Snow Queen and it has several...
brownmola
Is San Diego just behind with the flowering??
Any San Diegans or southern Californians here? I see...
brownmola
Extreme Cold
Looks like I won't be seeing any peaches and plums...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
Toxic Waste:
I have been told by a Nursery friend of mine not to...
loneranger_grow
Need help choosing dwarf fruit trees.
These trees will be planted at my own Indianapolis...
URES
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™