crimson passion/ honeyberry usa

Noogy(6 sw mi)May 20, 2012

Sometimes you have to take a chance on new nurseries. And that I did.

I found a reputable source for crimson Passion. I got honeyberries, saskatoons, and Morello cherry and they were all larger than expected and shipped prior to bud break. I hate getting leafed out wilted product. They're all leafing out nicely. Real nice product and great customer service.

Noogy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
olga_6b

I bought my crimson passion from them last year. It was good too. growing nicely in my garden.
Olga

Bookmark   May 20, 2012 at 5:59PM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA(10b Sunset 23)

I also ordered a Crimson Passion and a Carmine Jewel from Honeyberry USA. They both came with a bit of bud, and the Crimson Passion just exploded. The Carmine Jewel, however, just didn't get going. I contacted Honeyberry USA today, and they are replacing my Carmine Jewel with a rooted and larger replacement right away. They shared with me that they do have a greater fail rate with Carmine Jewel - about 7% - since they are not as vigorous. I planted both in 1 gal. containers with fast draining potting soil (EB Stone Cactus Mix) and was careful about making sure they didn't dry out since we're past our rains, now. But, I just wasn't diligent enough with the Carmine Jewel I guess. Very pleased that they are replacing it for me. Here's what they look like after about 2 1/2 weeks. They were just dormant branches when they arrived. I am hoping I can get at least some fruit on both, since I am not exactly in their ideal growing environment:

Patty S.

Bookmark   May 24, 2012 at 10:42PM
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

It looks like it's the other way around, hoosierquilt. The Carimine jewel exploded.
Crimson Passion on the right, known to be slow and harder to propagate is what I heard.

Bookmark   May 25, 2012 at 1:35AM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA(10b Sunset 23)

Okay, that's what I get for posting late in the evening. Good grief. You can clearly see by my labels it is the CARMINE JEWEL that leafed out very quickly and well, and the less vigorous CRIMSON PASSION that pooped out for me. Thanks for pointing that out, Konrad! This will be the grand experiment for me, along with my lingonberries. I am not expecting much fruit, but maybe a handful. And, that would be fine with me. Honeyberry USA has been great to work with, Bernis has been wonderful. I may try Honeyberries, next, as there are some later varieties that might fruit for me, and they do not need acidic soil like blueberries and lingonberries, so I can plant them directly in the ground. I'll just top dress with compost well.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Honeyberry USA: Sour Cherries

Bookmark   May 25, 2012 at 10:24AM
Bradybb WA-Zone8

Thanks for posting this Noogy.Two plants I haven't heard of and might try,seeing they don't get extremely large. Brady

Bookmark   May 25, 2012 at 11:41AM
Noogy(6 sw mi)

Brady,
I haven't eaten any yet, but reading their info in U of Sask, I thought it would be an improvement on typical varieties/ tree form/semi/standard stock.
Yeah, 5.5, 6.5' bushes are pretty attractive.
I love it when interspecific hybridization produces exceptional plants.
They're manipulating genes and testing stuff now we won't know about for years to come!
Good luck!

Bookmark   May 25, 2012 at 4:05PM
More Discussions
Help, fuzzy scion wood
Hi all, I got apple scions from ARS last week and was...
zendog
Plum Tree Experts!!! Is this gonna turn into a fruit?
I have some buds on my plum tree that look like this. Do...
tlbean2004
Blue Berries-acid soil and other vegetable plants
I have been growing blue berry plants intermixed with...
RonCz
WHO called glyphosate a "probable carcinogen"
More and more studies seem to be coming out against...
canadianplant
Can I prevent Fire Blight the way I prevent Peach Leaf Curl?
Okay, so it's pretty easy to prevent peach leaf curl....
frostygardener
Sponsored Products
Laurel Springs Parchment Lined Window Valance
$39.99 | Bellacor
Tiffany Valiant Bronze 24-Inch Height Two-Light Interior Table Lamp
$249.99 | Bellacor
Striped Art Glass 20" Wide Drum Pendant Light
Lamps Plus
Indoor Area Rug: Filigree Crimson 9' x 12' 2" Plush
Home Depot
Nourison Area Rug: Contour Flame 5' x 7' 6"
Home Depot