Oscar's damaged trunk

christie_sw_mo(Z6)May 26, 2012

I planted this Oscar mulberry in 2010 I think, so it's been through two winters. The first winter, I had one of those spiral plastic tree protectors on it and when I removed it the next spring, it was damaged. I can't remember if it looked split or eaten but this is what it looks like now.

That's the east side of the trunk. The opposite side looks the same. It's damaged on both sides, so almost completely girdled. It made it through the second winter and had two or three dozen mulberries on it this spring, many of which aborted and there were a couple branches that shriveled up and died after they leafed out.

I would love for it to live long enough to get my money's worth of mulberries so if anyone has a suggestion, I'm listening. I was glad to get to try the fruit this spring so I'd know whether it was worth trying to grow one again. The mulberries were very good.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

It looks like it may have split in a sudden temperature change. If it went up to 70s in some October or March the black trunk protector could have gotten the trunk very hot and if the temp suddenly dropped that night it could have cracked it. The tree should be fine if a bit odd-looking; with each passing year it will heal more.

Scott

Bookmark   May 26, 2012 at 9:53AM
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

Looks like older damage and has healed in somewhat,..it should be fine without any further damage.

Bookmark   May 27, 2012 at 1:25AM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

That's encouraging Thanks! I do believe it was split but couldn't say for certain. The tree protectors were gray and I can't remember what kind of sudden temperature changes we had that year but it wouldn't be unusual for us to go from summer temps to winter temps and back again in a short time.

Should I just leave it alone next winter?

Bookmark   May 29, 2012 at 10:09AM
More Discussions
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
Pictures missing!
Have you noticed, since Houzz took over allot of pictures...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™