If you have fruit, its time to watch for PC

franktank232(z5 WI)May 1, 2012

Tonight shows a low of 61F here...this warmth should overspread most of the midwest/lakes and then points east. Highs the next 3 or 4 days should be near 80F here in S Wisconsin with warm overnights. Plum Curculio should go nuts this week. I sprayed all my apricots last night. I'll put a spray on the plums tonight. I'll probably break out the Surround for the sweet cherries...that seemed to work well last year.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

PC are mostly done here, I haven't found fresh marks on plums for over a week, only apples are still being hit and it seems to be winding down there as well. They were out early and have been doing their thing during the small warm blips we have been having.

The CM seems to be flummoxed by the weather, I have yet to find a live worm in an apple. Quite a few entries and sometimes they wander around just under the skin but nobody is surviving. I think the cold weather has not been good for burrowing. The OFM on the other hand is having its usual party in the peach tips. Not too many so far, so either there is a small generation or they are more spread out than usual -- my peaches are at 6" shoot and thats usually when their party is in full swing.

Scott

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 9:52AM
mrsg47(7)

I am definitely watching for PC. No signs yet, but have sprayed the apricots, plums and peaches. My fruit is very slow to set and grow this year. My trees so far behind both of yours. Apricots are passed shuck-split, and peaches are just beginning shuck-split and plums are at petal drop. I have a long summer ahead of me. (have used the triazicide-immunox combo). Mrs. G

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 10:04AM
ltilton

Sprayed yesterday. Wondering now how rainproof triazide is.

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 3:04PM
thomis(7)

Lost 80% of my apples last year to PC. Got out there early this year and sprayed Triazicide. I also wonder how rainproof it is. I think my timing was good this year. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 4:56PM
ramble

With Triazicide use a sticker. That'll help. Of course, don't use it if you have Captan in your mix.

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 5:49PM
alan haigh

I was out at several sites today and Mon and saw not a single PC scar on uninsecticided fruit . Unlike my poor pittiful frost scarred site most of my clients have amazing fruit set of everything from plums, cots through apples. Cots are half way to full size. Latest apples refuse to drop petals creating a real problem.

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 5:57PM
franktank232(z5 WI)

Harvest-

You think they all froze solid?

The remaining apricots look great. I think its going to be an early year.

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 7:12PM
More Discussions
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
Trimming overgrown avocado tree then graft?
Dear gardenweb community, I am hoping to hear some...
funlul
Grafting thin scionwood?
I just received an order of scionwood from Tim Strickler...
jbclem
My First Grape Vine - Need Help!
I just purchased my very first grape vine (concord)....
lekennedy4
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™