Using apples to force Pineapple to fruit

tyler_j(6a)May 17, 2011

I read that apples release ethylene gas that will trigger the pineapple to fruit. My pineapple is 3 years old and has never fruited so I put the pot in a grocery bag and then put 10 apples in it. I tied the bag tight around the bottom couple inches of the plant. I didn't have a clear bag big enough for the entire plant so I wasn't sure this would work or not just exposing that little amount of the plant. I left it for about 3 weeks then took the plant out and discarded the apples. About a month later I have a pineapple fruit forming from the centre. I will update with pictures as the fruit develops.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trianglejohn

I've had success just putting the apples on top of the soil in the pot. It only takes a tiny amount of ethylene to initiate blooming. Sometimes it's quick and sometimes it's slow.

Bookmark   May 17, 2011 at 10:04AM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Thanks for sharing your success! I've got a couple plants just starting so will be trying this down the road, maybe next spring depending on how big my plants are by then.

Does anyone know about how long it takes the fruit to mature from the size shown above? I assume this is the right time to force fruit. Thanks!

Bookmark   May 17, 2011 at 11:02AM
gonebananas_gw

I've done it with just a sliver of ripe apple with skin put down in the center with no other care.

Bookmark   May 17, 2011 at 12:39PM
steve_in_los_osos

I have a pair of 3-year olds which are rapidly outgrowing their space in my small greenhouse. I was going to wait, but reading this, I think I should try forcing them, perhaps a month apart. It will be very impractical to bag the whole plant. I thought about an apple (or piece) in the center and maybe just tenting the central whorl of leaves? Kinda worried about heat buildup and mold since it gets pretty warm in the GH.....

Bookmark   May 17, 2011 at 2:21PM
tyler_j(6a)

Update on the fruit... this is about 3 weeks later. The pineapple fruit is flowering right now with simple purple flowers starting at the bottom. Its obviously not going to turn into anything big but still interesting to grow.

Bookmark   June 7, 2011 at 10:52AM
tyler_j(6a)

Here is a couple more pics. The first one the fruit has almost completely bloomed. The second pic was just taken today. The fruit section is only about 2" tall.

Bookmark   July 7, 2011 at 1:36PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Looks like it will be a small fruit. Nonetheless quite a feat. And your top was a nice size. I guess commercially the tops are probably huge at flowering.

Keep posting especially about eating quality.

Bookmark   July 7, 2011 at 2:58PM
tyler_j(6a)

Here is an updated picture. I had the plant outside all summer. Just recently brought it back in with the cooler nights here. The fruit has filled out nicely but still hard and not ripening just yet. Its about 4" round now.

Bookmark   September 26, 2011 at 4:28PM
iammarcus(6)

Interesting, I have a lot of dropped apples that are only good as animal feed. I'll try a bucketful on my pineapples and bananas.
Dan

Bookmark   September 28, 2011 at 1:40AM
tyler_j(6a)

One final post...

I probably should have waited a few more days to let it ripen more but it tasted good. Cut the top off and starting again :)

Bookmark   October 19, 2011 at 3:29PM
Vegetable_man

Thanks for the detailed explanation and photos.
I have a few adult pineapple plants on which I'd like to try this method. I plan to leave a piece of ripe apple on the soil of the pot, but the plant is too big to be contained in a plastic bag (clear or not). would the process be effective even without plastic bags?
Thanks in advance!

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 4:07AM
HGFzone8

First, that is great to get your pineapple.

As a side note, forcing pineapples to fruit will make them smaller than normal if the plant is not ready.

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 5:08PM
steve_in_los_osos

When I persuaded one of my pineapples (already a large plant) to bloom, all I did was put a slice of apple on a skewer and place the slice gently down in the central whorl. Then I used a piece of plastic wrap to sort of close up the center area. No need to encase the entire plant.

And yes, if a plant is forced to bloom too early, the fruit will be smaller. Mine ended up just under 5 lb, but again, the plant was quite large and just shy about blooming.

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 5:26PM
More Discussions
Best place to grow Fruit Trees - OUTSIDE of California
Heya, So I'm about to make a rather silly/stupid post...
mystearica
Confused about grape vine spraying
I'm getting overwhelmed trying to figure this out on...
DandyLioness (CA 9, SZ 14)
Avo tree grafting
I received this tree from a neighbor. Seed grown, not...
tim45z10
Beach Plum / Prunus Maritima Cultivation Questions
Hello all! I scarified a handful of seeds from beach...
liamkelly Zone 6b Rhode Island / 5b Massachusetts
Plum Tree Experts!!! Is this gonna turn into a fruit?
I have some buds on my plum tree that look like this. Do...
tlbean2004
Sponsored Products
54" Monte Carlo Shores Bronze Outdoor Ceiling Fan with Light
Lamps Plus
Home Decorators Area Rug: Marblehead Black 4' x 6'
$85.00 | Home Depot
Hand-Knotted Mandara Floral New Zealand Wool Rug (9' x 13')
Overstock.com
Surya Naya NY-5249 3'3" x 5'3" Taupe, Chocolate Rug
$333.60 | PlushRugs
Amba | Jeeves D Curved Towel Warmer
$997.50 | YBath
Campania International Las Ramblas Outdoor Fountain - FT-230 - NATURAL
$809.99 | Hayneedle
Suzani Hook 4 Gold Rectangular: 5 ft. x 8 ft. Rug
$399.00 | Bellacor
Queen 300TC Flat Sheet - IVORY
$186.90 | Horchow
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™