Quicky birdbaths?

nancyjane_gardener(Zone 8ish North of San Francisco in the "real" wine country)July 22, 2014

Here in No CA we are in a really bad drought! I would like to put out birdbaths so the birds will have enough to drink and won't go after my veges for moisture!
I have been meaning to delve into hypertufa since I retired last year, but haven't had the time to get around to it!
I have a couple of questions before I make the first plunge!
Does the concrete leach anything that would harm the birds? If so, can I fix that?
What would be the quickest way to make some birdbaths and have them cured and in service?
FWIW, I might just go to the thrift store for some shallow bowls and think about tufa bowls newt fall! Nancy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Mike Larkin

Hypertufa, like concrete needs to cure for 1-2 weeks. It should be kept damp or moist to become strong. Otherwise it may crack - if it drys too fast.

I have ocassionally placed the entire project in a water bath ( to cure) after I taken it out of the mold. If you do that you will get a milky residue in the water from the cement. Washing with water will remove much of the cement residue.
I would not rush the project. Make one now and allow it to properly cure. Allow it to remain outside and ocassioanly hose it down to get rid of any residue from the cement. That and Mother Nature will help get it ready for the birds. There are hundreds of birdbaths made from cement and for sale at any garden center. I am not aware of anything special that is done to them.

Some may suggest to seal - I am not sure of the harm that the sealer may have. I have done both - sealed and unsealed. Mike

Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 8:02AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
I disposed of my stone BB because they get so dirty so quickly and the only way I've found to clean them is daily brushing along with occasional bleach Have replaced with
plastic drip trays Very light easy to wash can even take them in the house to clean. only problem is they look like plastic drip trays l Working on that!! lol gary

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 5:31AM
More Discussions
Why does hypertufa crack?
I've been making hypertufa pots and other objects for...
monomer
hypertufa millstones
These are three hypertufa millstones made about 6 weeks...
dougy2040
Dry mix paths and mower strips, why not?
I've wanted to try this for some time. I have big piles...
linnea2
Stone Circle
I have mostly lurked here, only posting a couple of...
Myrdin
Lichens on vinyl fence
LICHENS on VINYL FENCE: HELP! Having always wanted...
jimmie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™