Plum trees leaves have holes after spraying

Jerseymec(6b)May 6, 2013

Something seems to be eating at my plum leaves. Does anyone know what could have caused it? Is it an insect or does it have some disease? Is there any spray I could use?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alan haigh

captan

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 9:21AM
andrew_swmo(6 SW MO)

harvestman, would you please elaborate more? I would like to know what is causing the holes. Is it captan or are you suggesting captan as a cure? Thank you.

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 10:19AM
MrClint

Captan is a fungicide, so you are correct to ask for clarification.

Your tree looks healthy to me, but you may have used some fertilizer high in N. This makes leaves/plants more inviting to sucking and chomping bugs. It wouldn't hurt to go out at night with a flashlight and see if you can spot your leaf munchers, but otherwise I wouldn't spray because of a few holes.

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 10:49AM
daemon2525(5)

Just guessing with "shot hole disease"?

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 11:05AM
Jerseymec(6b)

Yes you are right its happening over night. Some insect is eating it the same night I spray it with a homemade fruit tree spray I found on the internet. Does anyone have experience with this?
http://pestcontroloptions.com/insect-control/homemade-fruit-tree-spray#more-136

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 12:19PM
Jerseymec(6b)

I spray early morning as the instructs suggest on the site.

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 12:21PM
alan haigh

Sorry, I was saying that some plum varieties get shot holes as a result of Captan application if my memory is serving me correctly. It was just a shot in the dark on my part and I should have mentioned that such tiny wounds are of no consequence unless they become much more prevalent.

My response was made while I was very tired and I apolagize for any confusion I created.

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 5:59PM
RUReddy(7B)

Hi. My plum trees have a lot of small holes as well, but much worse than yours. I haven't been able to find whatever is eating them in the act, but have sprayed several times with both neem oil and spinosad. Both helped a lot as long as I was on top of it, but neither has managed to work long term. Perhaps nothing does as we humans have been creating super bugs all over the planet. I think I'll go out and see if I can find anything besides slugs and snails this evening. Anyway, I doubt your damage is from aphids or trips as they both cause the leaves to curl, and that doesn't seem to be the case with yours. I'd rule out caterpillers as well because they don't mind the light of day. Personally, I'd be reluctant to use something as toxic as Captan, but perhaps you feel differently.

Bookmark   July 20, 2013 at 8:13PM
More Discussions
Calling all Sweetcrisp owners!!!
Dear Sweetcrisp owners, Over here in Australia we are...
raadster
Source for Hidden Rose Apple?
Looking for a tree or scions but seem to be coming...
jsvand5
Can Apples grow in the tropics?
I was wondering if apples could really be grown in...
Axel
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
Are these roots that are forming on a callery pear cutting in water?
As you may know, i took cuttings of a flowering pear...
tlbean2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™