It's true what they say about the box stores

quackmasterMay 29, 2013

I've read quit a few post about staying away from the box store fruit trees. Most of my fruit trees come from our local nursery. I bought one peach tree from lowes (Florida king), a low chill variety because I live in zone 9a. Well I had to exchange it because it died so I picked out another FK. Well right after I checked out I was over looking the tree as I was putting it in the truck and it had two florida king tags on the top of the tree and another orange tag at the bottom that said Loring. I googled Loring real quick and come to find out it needs 750 to 850 chill hours which we never even come close to, our coldest winter will get between 400 to 600 hrs. Needless to say I got my money back real quick.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
quackmaster

This is the other tag, I'm guessing this is the correct tag but I wasn't taking any chances.

Bookmark   May 29, 2013 at 10:07AM
melikeeatplants

Yes, always check for the wholesalers tag on the tree. That is usually good. The problem is when the big box stores put their own tags on it.

Actually I was going to plant a tree for someone yesterday and she bought a red delicious, which needs a pollenizer but that is not listed anywhere on the store sticker.

Bookmark   May 29, 2013 at 11:12AM
daemon2525(5)

I've got one for ya.... Our local Walmart isn't even trying anymore. Their trees were labeled "APPLE - RED" and
"PLUM" . that's it!

Bookmark   May 29, 2013 at 11:16AM
insteng

I buy trees from lowe's when the clear them out for the summer or fall. I can get them for $6 and they get them from a local Texas nursery so I don't worry too much about them. I just check the nursery tag. I have an advantage of having 56 acres to play with so I am not limited on what I can plant. If I get the wrong tree it is not as big a deal as it would be for someone with limited space.

Bookmark   May 29, 2013 at 1:48PM
shazaam(NC 7B)

I've got one for ya.... Our local Walmart isn't even trying anymore. Their trees were labeled "APPLE - RED" and
"PLUM" . that's it!

I've noticed the same trend for berries at both Lowes and Home Depot. I've seen blueberries labelled as "Rabbiteye" with no cultivar named, as well as raspberries identified merely as "black" or "red."

Bookmark   May 29, 2013 at 2:09PM
JoppaRich(7b)

"I've noticed the same trend for berries at both Lowes and Home Depot. I've seen blueberries labelled as "Rabbiteye" with no cultivar named, as well as raspberries identified merely as "black" or "red."

Wierd, in MD and VA, all the home depot/lowes I've looked at (and I'm a plant browser in the spring, visit a lot of places), they've all been labled as to the variant.

Bookmark   May 29, 2013 at 2:59PM
itheweatherman

Seven years ago, my neighbor bought two plums that were labeled "Santa Rosa plums" at the big box stores. One tree turned out to be a green skinned plum--very delicious and juicy-- and the other one produced red skin plums--I don't think that it's a Santa Rosa plum because my Santa Rosa plum is way different than my neighbor's.

Bookmark   May 29, 2013 at 3:21PM
campv

I live in a area that can get down to 16 in the winter. HD was selling orange trees and I accually saw a person buy one. Thats crazy it will die the first winter. Never never believe what a sales person tells you from one of those stores. The sales staff has no knowledge what so ever. Their last job was working @ FoodMart.

Bookmark   May 29, 2013 at 3:25PM
JoppaRich(7b)

I have an orange tree from Lowes. Its doing fantastic, and I get fruit from it.

It just comes in over the winter.

Bookmark   May 29, 2013 at 3:27PM
lsoh

The blueberries at our our local Walmart are labeled simply "southern high bush". Hmmm. Blueberries need 2 different varieties to fruit. How would one know what they bought? Oh, did I mention we live in northern Ohio. *Southern* High Bush?????

Bookmark   May 29, 2013 at 6:37PM
More Discussions
Grafting acocados
I am grafting an avocado tree. Is it alright to graft...
tim45z10
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Zone 5 fruit and nut trees Northeast, Nebraska
Hello, I have an acreage near Allen, NE and I would...
cheeta64
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™