Please ID this fruit

olympia_gardener(5)May 31, 2012

This is growing on my 3 in 1 Asia pear tree from Miller. It does not look like a Asia pear to me. Can anyone here tell me what type of pear this is? It has red tone in the skin, more like european pear.Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucky_p

Looks Euro at this stage - but not all 'Asian' pears are round.
But, scionwood mix-ups do occur, and it's possible that a European variety was accidentally grafted on.

Or the 'framework' may be a European variety, chosen for its branching habit, and this is just a branch of that 'base' tree, and not the additional grafted-on varieties - so...you may actually have a 4-in-1.
I'm not exactly sure how they build those multi-variety trees for commercial sale - I have multi-variety trees in my orchard, but they originated as 'foster homes' for scions that I got when I didn't have individual rootstocks available, so the 'Keiffer' tree now has 8 or 10 additional selections growing in it on various branches.

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 10:15AM
olympia_gardener(5)

Lucky, I agree. The Asian pear is round as far as I know. The color should be pale yellow or brown not red. This is on one of the grafted branch. I am wondering I was sent a wrong type of tree?? I just planted this tree last year so it is first time I saw its fruit.

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 2:03PM
denninmi(8a)

I've grown 'Ya Li' which is a pyriform Asian pear, not round as most are. Even though the shape is pyriform, even at a young age they just look "different" - skin is a brighter green and glossy. Hard to verbalize or explain, but easy to see in the orchard with a little experience.

In the photo, the pear I see screams "European" to me, and so do the leaves, they are the more pointed, less rounded, leaves of P. communis, not the somewhat more rounded leaves of P. pyrifolia or P. bretschneideri (Ya Li and other pyriform Asian pears).

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 4:22PM
calliope(6)

At least you got an edible pear out of it. I sent off for two seckle pear trees and ended up with a couple of Bradfords instead. LOL

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 5:24PM
marknmt

Could very easily be a Bartlett- but there are others with that classic shape. Not uncommon for Bartletts to have some red on them. You could do worse!

Bookmark   June 1, 2012 at 8:35AM
olympia_gardener(5)

Thanks guys for cheering me up. I hope it is YaLi. I like YaLi's aroma and juicy crispy texture. But, I really doubt it is Yali.

Bookmark   June 1, 2012 at 9:21AM
More Discussions
Suburban backyard "orchard" (Z6 SE NY)
Hello all. I have a new to me house and yard (Zone...
cottage_cheese_z6ny
what are signs that a cleft graft has failed and how soon to know?
Also, when grafting onto rootstock, how high up do...
tlbean2004
apple and cherry tree bark peeling
Is this a concern? Thanks in advance. Dan
Dan Liptak
Repotting avos
I would like to know when to repot my avocado trees...
chez54
Root barrier for Amity raspberries
I am trying to find an 8-inch deep root barrier to...
garrai818
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™