stayin ahead of the game - pomme notes

thomis(7)May 30, 2013

I'm very happy with the progress of my 5 year-old hobby orchard this year. I've managed to nail the timing just right with most of the sprays. PC in particular has been very bad and I lost the majority of my apples the last two years to PC b/c of ill-timed sprays. I nipped PC at just the right time this year, though, and CAR sprays, too. I did have some bouts with FB but not too bad, and I did have to remove one 5 year old Blacktwig on bud 9 due to some disease. The branches were turning black and dying but it was fireblight. All that said...I'm expecting my first significant apple harvest this year, if I can stay on top of it. One other disease I have noticed in years past is rot on the apples beginning about mid July. Its hard to tell from pics on various websites if its black or brown rot, but I do think it is one of them. My question on that is, can I use the same fungicide spray for it that I used for CAR (Rally SP)?

I get the usual leafhoppers, mites and jap beetles but they seem to be failry easy to contend with. I'm reading about a second "cycle" of PC that I may need to gear up to spray for. Can anyone touch on this subject? Also as far as coddling moth, I put the fake apples out a couple years ago and never found any signs of them. I think this may be unusual, though, as most folks say CM is just as prevalent as PC, correct?

I'm pretty excited about one tree in particular, a Smokehouse on mm111. I lost most of my trees on mm111 to collar rot b/c of my wet/ heavy hardpan under my friable loamy topsoil. But this Smokehouse seems very healthy. Its my largest tree, and stands about 16'. I learned that in years past, I pruned this tree much too heavily during my usual February pruning, overstimulating it with a tremendous amount of new growth, so much so that it never even blossomed. I held off on pruning it this past Feb and now it is loaded with apples. Lesson learned; it IS possible to overprune in dormancy.

One last thing, I ran out of the parafin-based dormant oil early March when I did that spray. I had to use what I could get my hands on and it happened to be Volck Oil Spray, which is not parafin-based. It seemed to work better than the parafin-based spray I have used the last 5 years. Can anyone confirm the same experience?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
olpea(zone 6 KS)

Congrats Thomis.

I doubt the fake apples will be a very effective trap for codling moth. Fake red apples are generally used for apple maggot.

There are codling moth traps, but they use pheromone lures.

Bookmark   May 31, 2013 at 11:13AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mamuang_gw

Thomis,
My spray schedule this year was about 3 weeks late due to wet and windy weather. I found most damage done by coddling moth, only a few by plum curculio and OFM. I talked about damages on apples, A.pears and peaches.

My guess is CM arrived on time regardless of the weather while PC and OFM may be held back by colder-than-normal weather, at least in my area.

I did not have experience with rot (yet). I did not use Volck Oil either but recall that a few here do. Hope they will chime in.

Bookmark   May 31, 2013 at 9:06PM
More Discussions
Apple varieties evaluations 2005-2015
Hi some people here several months ago asked for a...
Scott F Smith
Can Apples grow in the tropics?
I was wondering if apples could really be grown in...
Axel
How does well water with Rust affect pH?
We use well water with lots of rust in it. Will it...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
Source for Hidden Rose Apple?
Looking for a tree or scions but seem to be coming...
jsvand5
Help... pest eggs on orange fruits
Orange fruits got quite some eggs on them. I have searched...
funlul
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™