Black gold Cherry - pest

queensinfoMay 1, 2013

I noticed that the leaves closest to to the top of the tree were deformed. my lapins nearby (which is a few weeks ahead of the black gold) shows no leaf issues.

Upon inspection, i found a tiny inchworm/skinny catepillar looking bug in one of the deformed but not opened leaves. There are maybe 6 flowers on the tree currently and i was hoping to be able to taste a cherry or three this year (planted last spring).

Is there a spray i should use that wont taint the cherries or a spray i should use and forget about the fruit for this year?

I will try to find another one tonight and take a picture but it was tiny.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

All kinds of sprays exist, and no it won't taint the cherries one bit. If you grow cherries you have to spray for insects and fungus, and net the tree for birds. Otherwise you will never taste the fruit. Especially in your area. I'll let the more expierenced growers tell you what spray to use, I'm still learning and testing many different types.

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 10:57AM
queensinfo

I am growing in containers if that changes the potential advice.

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 5:07PM
bob_z6(6b/7a SW CT)

As container trees don't usually get too big, you can probably just check the entire tree. If there are only a few, I'd get rid of them by hand, rather than trying to spray something. That's what I did last year on my apple trees (the little worms sound similar), and there was significantly more ground to cover.

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 9:11PM
queensinfo

Here is a pic of the top of the tree where the damage is. I didn't see any additional worms but I didn't check the tiny emerging leaves.

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 10:15PM
More Discussions
Apple varieties evaluations 2005-2015
Hi some people here several months ago asked for a...
Scott F Smith
Are these roots that are forming on a callery pear cutting in water?
As you may know, i took cuttings of a flowering pear...
tlbean2004
Early varieties of blackberry
Hi all, Are there any varieties of blackberry that...
CaraRose
Fruit drop on Paw paw
Last year I pollinated by hand very thoroughly. I got...
johndoug
Help... pest eggs on orange fruits
Orange fruits got quite some eggs on them. I have searched...
funlul
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™