Surround Questions

goudreauMay 28, 2013

Hi,

It won't let me login on my computer for some reason so I will use my phone since I'm already logged in on it.

First time using surround yesterday and we had a few obstacles. First is the mixing ratio. We found online we need 3 cups surround per gallon. I have a 4gallon back pack sprayer I got from Johnny's seeds, jacto hd 400.
We attempted to mix it in the backpack sprayer and the little container kept getting clogged. After a little frustration we only got about 6 cups in ( half of the recommended amount). It seemed to be really white. I sprayed a few trees with this amount. Is this amount enough for the first application or do I need to do another round today with the more concentrated ratio?
Suggestions on how to mix the surround in the water, I'm thinking of prefixing it and then putting it in the sprayer, would this be okay?
The trees I did do look partially white, some more than others.
Thanks for your help!
-J

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

I have not found it hard to get into solution. I add it to my backpack and shake it all up. Fill the backpack maybe 1/3 then agitate like crazy, tilt to one side then the other etc until its all in solution. Then fill up the rest still shaking it.

I would put another coat down, its good to put a big initial base down in any case. Also aim more at the fruits, covering the leaves is not the goal. Spray from the best angle to get fruits. It takes some practice to get a good spray technique.

I did pretty well this spring with Surround, the curc is pretty much done and I did not lose significant yield on anything. I am getting stinkbug damage on the peaches so I am going to keep Surround coverage on them for much of the summer. If not for stinkbugs I stop the Surround around now, when the peaches are nickel/dime sized.

Scott

Bookmark   May 28, 2013 at 12:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
windfall_rob(vt4)

I should try scots technique.... but I do it a bit different and also have no problems.
tank 1/3 full clean water, bucket with surround and 1/3 of the water...stirred into slurry.
add to tank and then rinse bucket for last 1/3.

shake (backpack) and shake a bit while working.

I have never ahd cloggin issues, but was having some trouble just yesterday...but I think that is a bad back pressure valve in the pump.

Bookmark   May 28, 2013 at 6:51PM
More Discussions
what are signs that a cleft graft has failed and how soon to know?
Also, when grafting onto rootstock, how high up do...
tlbean2004
Goji Berries, where to buy seeds?
Hey, so this is my second year gardening, last year...
M3rc_Nate
Strange world of paw paw's
Because the extended drought in my area my paw paw's...
persimmonbob
Jujube plants from roger
I would like to have jujube shanxi li. I know roger...
bunti
Apple Tree Help - Thank you!
Hello, I have four different varieties of small (starting...
kailunkat
Sponsored Products
Light Blue 600-TC Egyptian Cotton Jacquard Herringbone Sheet Set
$69.99 | zulily
Cherish Wood Lounge Chair in Dark Gray
$299.00 | LexMod
Malibu 5 Piece Outdoor Patio Sofa Set in Espresso Red
$1,309.00 | LexMod
Carnegie Hall Framed Wall Mirror - 23.6W x 31.5H in. - SSM481-1
$131.11 | Hayneedle
Kichler Black Shallow Shade Outdoor LED Path Light
Lamps Plus
Illuminati Collection 26" Wide Pendant Light
Lamps Plus
Hand-tufted Transitional Coastal Gray/ Black Rug (3'6 x 5'6)
Overstock.com
Design House 25W x 22D in. Granite Single Sink Vanity Top - 552463
$374.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™