Discouraging the growth of twin peaches?

mrsg47(7)May 23, 2014

Hi all. Upon 'shuck split' which is where my peach trees are right now, I noticed an unusually large number of 'siamese twin' peaches. After some research the cause is supposedly a drastic change in weather temps. or two much or two little water. How do you battle mother nature? Anyway. I removed all of them which really helped with the thinning I will have to do this spring. Is there a simpler reason for these twins? Is there any way to prevent them? Many thanks Mrs. G

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

No simple reason and I think not really well understood. But excessive heat and perhaps water stress seems to play a role. It doesn't seem like you would have much of either.

It's common in cherries in some areas. I haven't had much on anything except Flavor Supreme pluot. It has about 50%. Other pluots have none. So very variety specific.

This post was edited by fruitnut on Fri, May 23, 14 at 15:57

Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 3:56PM
mrsg47(7)

Thanks Fruitnut. The 'twins' are on my 'Now I don't know the variety Peach (thought was a Belle of Georgia' happy to know its not!). I've removed at least thirty so far. Will go out tonight and look for more. Thanks again, Mrs. G

Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 5:39PM
olpea(zone 6 KS)

Mrs. G,

In good years, doubles (siamese twins) are one of the first peaches to remove at thinning (that and peaches low in crotch angels).

However, when peaches are lean, we leave the doubles on. Later, after they get some size, you can carefully break off one of the doubles. The remaining peach will heal, if the separation is early enough. The peach won't be flawless, but will still look decently attractive and will taste as good as any other.

Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 6:09PM
More Discussions
cold/frost hardy peaches
Looking to get a list of 3 of the most frost tolerant,...
sean2280
Grafting thin scionwood?
I just received an order of scionwood from Tim Strickler...
jbclem
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Loquat tree
My darn tree has stopped sending energy to the fruit....
tim45z10
Looks like no pears this year.
We have gotten a lot of chill hours this year for the...
insteng
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™