Spraying Pecan Trees

instengMay 3, 2013

When is the recommended time to spray pecan trees with Zinc? I have a couple trees at my place in the country that are probably 75 years old and I want to spray them this year to see how much difference it will make in how much they produce. Last year they hardly had any pecans at all due to the drought. Luckily I have a pump sprayer I can hook to my tractor that will reach the top of the trees easily.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

When I had a pecan variety test orchard we sprayed as soon in the spring as there was significant leaves, about now. Then at two week intervals another 2-3 sprays. Basically until the leaves were fully expanded.

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 12:54PM
insteng

Thanks, that is what I thought. I need to replace the pump on my sprayer and I will spray this weekend. It will be nice to have a lot of pecans this year. I have a couple small ones planted as well but it will be a few years before they will produce

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 1:07PM
lucky_p

Don't forget to put on some nitrogen fertilizer, too - productive nut trees are heavy N-feeders.
The old-timers often claimed that if you got a box of Red Devil lye and sprinkled it out around the dripline of the canopy, that it would stimulate non-productive older trees to come back into bearing. Never tried it, but my dad swore by it - don't know if that was due to an abrupt change of pH - or just providing some needed potassium

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 4:33PM
insteng

I'm planning on spreasding out some 34-0-0 fertilizer that I use on my pastures around my trees as well. It should give them plenty of nitrogen.

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 4:48PM
More Discussions
First Bench Grafts Using a Fieldcraft Topgrafter
Hi all, I've been patiently waiting for signs of life...
gardener365
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
Are these roots that are forming on a callery pear cutting in water?
As you may know, i took cuttings of a flowering pear...
tlbean2004
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
How to shape this Grape Vine
Here is a grafted Perlette Grape Vine growing in it's...
dan8_gw (Northern California Zone 9A)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™