Problem with Miller 4 in 1 apple tree

alexander3_gw(6 Pennsylvania)May 2, 2012

Hello,

A friend of mine ordered two of the "Antique" 4 in 1 apple trees from Miller Nurseries, and gave one to me as a gift. The varieties listed are

Golden Russet

Snow (Fameuse)

Summer Rambo

Roxbury Russet

Unfortunately, none of the branches are labeled on either tree. My friend called, and they told him that they don't label them.

Upon inspection, I could only see three grafts, and a couple graft scars. My friend found the same thing on his tree. I wrote to Miller with a description of the problem and photographs. I just heard back, and the email said that the branches should have been labeled (inconsistent with what they told my friend). They also said that the trunk is the 4th variety. I do not see any graft along the trunk, so I think the whole trunk is the rootstock. The description at their web site also says "With four separate grafts placed by hand on every rootstock, you can see why they take four times the wood and four times the work of regular grafts."

I just wrote back to them, but I'm getting the feeling that they are either trying to pull one over on us, or that at least some of the people there don't know what's going on.

Does anyone have experience with this kind of tree from Miller? Is it possible that there is a graft union along the lower portion of the trunk that is completely invisible? The trunk is about 3/4". Is it possible that they really do use one of the listed varieties as the rootstock?

Alex

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

That could be, but when you have 4 varieties as you show above, then the main leader was grafted a couple of years before, it could be the Snow (Fameuse) or,..I would take the most vigorous out of the 4.

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 11:21AM
franktank232(z5 WI)

I have 2 4-in-1 trees from Raintree. All the branches are labeled.

I would guess you'll have to wait until they fruit and go from there. Here is a pic of my 4-in-1 pluot:

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 11:23AM
alexander3_gw(6 Pennsylvania)

Frank, that's more like what I was expecting. There were no instructions included with the tree. If they hadn't told me in the response email that the trunk was the 4th variety, I would have been rubbing off any new growth coming from the trunk. I'm still not convinced the trunk is really the 4th variety, since I can't see any evidence that the trunk was grafted onto the rootstock.

Alex

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 12:12PM
franktank232(z5 WI)

I'd question that the trunk is the 4th variety. That all sounds really fishy to me... Sounds like they ran out of 4 in 1s so they sent you a 3 in 1 and ripped off the tags so they could play stupid...! maybe not...but its very possible.

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 12:37PM
More Discussions
Trimming overgrown avocado tree then graft?
Dear gardenweb community, I am hoping to hear some...
funlul
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
What type of grafting tape do you use?
Last year I used electric tape and got about 98% success...
Mike Hughes
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
cold/frost hardy peaches
Looking to get a list of 3 of the most frost tolerant,...
sean2280
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™