Final Sculpting Mix Going On...

tango88(z8TX)August 13, 2006

Howdy Group --- Here are a few pix of the bench I'm working on that were taken today. I am applying the final layer which is a modified neat cement paste. No aggregate or sand. It is mixed very dry ( about 17% water to cement by weight) and sculpts detail almost as well as modeling clay. Very tricky to work as it changes "phases" differently than concrete or mortar and absolutely must not be allowed to dehydrate as you sculpt it.

Anyway, here is view of the front edge of one of the three armrests. Will have to flip it over to do the "top"...

..and here is one of the "mortised" joints where the back appears to fit through the leg/back support...

...and, finally, the other joint on the same end of the bench.

Still a lot of work to do but I will try to keep posting as I go. The full group of images will be on thegardenartforum.com as part of an upcoming tutorial on designing & fabricating larger pieces like this.

Time for bed. Gotta' get up early before it hits 98 again. All My Best --- Tango

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carol_showme

Tango Amazing detail.... Great Job!!!
Carol

Bookmark   August 13, 2006 at 3:49AM
buckyforce(10 So. Fla.)

Brava Tango!!

I am enjoying the progress you are making - thank you for sharing the pictures and information.

I am interested in the "modified neat cement paste" you mention. Just portland and water? Or did you add bonding agent? Thanks!

Amanda

Bookmark   August 13, 2006 at 7:48AM
tango88(z8TX)

Thanks Guys --- Did the other end today but no time to load any pix yet.

Amanda --- the basic neat cement paste formula is on my website under the "Mix Menu". It is a little tricky to mix and very demanding to cure but worth the effort. I'm putting together a full tutorial just on working with this mixture as it requires a very different approach to pull off successfully. Take a look. All My Best --- Tango

Bookmark   August 13, 2006 at 4:32PM
dian2(z6 pgh pa)

amazing. Absolutely amazing

Bookmark   August 13, 2006 at 7:24PM
mollymaples(Northwest,z5)

Great work Tango, can I have your web page address??

Bookmark   August 13, 2006 at 9:30PM
klinger(8)

Awesome job. I really like how this coat is going on.I am also intrigued by the mix, will have to play with it some time.I always enjoy seeing your work.
Cindy

Bookmark   August 13, 2006 at 11:34PM
thekingofcrete

I'm new here so someone please tell me...that's not really concrete is it? I make all kinds of stuff out of crete and if you havn't figured out by my name I love the stufff...but what I see in the pics is like totally different from any concrete i have ever seen, let alone worked with. And I have always been told that neat cement will fall apart, but it looks like this guy knows what hes talking about. Any comments?
Thanx TKOC

Bookmark   August 15, 2006 at 5:17PM
ltd123(6A southern Ind)

TKOC - this guy (Tango) more than knows what he is talking about! His work is terrific. Go check out http://thegardenartforum.com/sb/index.php to learn more about faux bois.
Laura

Bookmark   August 15, 2006 at 9:48PM
thekingofcrete

Hey Laura, thanx a bunch. I got to find out more about this and will take a look.
TKOC

Bookmark   August 15, 2006 at 11:49PM
thekingofcrete

Hey Laura. Thanx again. That site is prety awsome. My head hurts from trying to take it all in! I've never seen so much about concrete and cement in my life. I just might have to change my name after looking that over, but can't wait to try some of the mixtures he has on there. TKOC

Bookmark   August 17, 2006 at 2:37AM
More Discussions
leaf imprints
Gardenerboy, Leaf imprints are easy. I like plasticware...
billie_ann
Advice needed - trying for a smooth finish w/concrete (PIC)
I'm making a mini modern indoor/outdoor fireplace out...
concreteblue
Re-inforce hypertufa trough
Whats the best way to strengthen a large trough. I...
Syncmanatl
faux rocks
how to make....
Kathy Meyer Smyth
Dry mix paths and mower strips, why not?
I've wanted to try this for some time. I have big piles...
linnea2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™