HELP! Lawn maintainance guy cut down my 3 citrus saplings...

KrakenQueen(8b, Savannah GA)May 31, 2012

I grew these 3 mandarins from seed about three years ago and they were finally at a height where I could go ahead and comfortably plant them in the yard, between 1' and 2.5'. My landlord (who is always pretty cautious about my garden) underwent surgery and can't mow the lawn.

At any rate, the hired hand ran over all three with the mower, and all three were pretty obvious that they were planted intentionally, so I am pretty bummed out. There are "stumps" about 3" in height for each. Should I dig them up and pot them, and give them as much tlc as possible?

How can I save these poor things? I have two more saplings that I could plant, but, man this just really stings.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Kraken:

Steamed is right, what a moron!! Citrus in my experience is very good at resprouting. They should rapidly regrow. Potting wouldn't help except to move them out of harms way. I say keep the root system intact where they are and put in stakes or something else to keep the mower at bay.

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 10:54AM
KrakenQueen(8b, Savannah GA)

Thanks, Fruitnut. This is just..uhg.
Are there any extra steps I should take to encourage new growth from them like shading them, fertilizer, more watering, trimming the ragged cut and make it clean?

I will be putting stakes around them today to ensure this doesn't happen again.

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 11:10AM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

I'd trim up the cut ends. Those must be pretty ragged. They shouldn't need shade or any extra care. Extra water and fertilizer will help if needed but only after they start regrowing.

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 11:52AM

Alright, I'll get them trimmed clean, they look awful.
Thank you!

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 12:04PM

Thankfully two of the three have a lot of foliage from suckers, so I am glad I never trimmed those off like I had considered! I will guess those two will have a better shot at coming back than the third (which was also the largest) as it had no sucker growth before the Great Mow Down.

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 12:22PM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

I have had many things accidentally mowed or whacked over the years. What I do now is every new plant gets some big stakes around it that will make it nearly impossible to mow over or weed whack. I would put some stakes like that around your citrus. Its a good idea for reasons beyond lawn mowing because it will keep kids, deer, dogs, etc from stepping on them.

Scott

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 12:32PM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA(10b Sunset 23)

Citrus are excellent are "reviving" themselves, especially citrus grown from seedlings. Be patient. Clear ALL the grass away from the trees. Give them a nice large ring/well. Make it obvious to this gardener you have trees in this area. Fertilize and water regularly. Since they're not grafted, you should see new growth shortly that will be whatever the seedling is turning out to be. And, with citrus, it could be a hybrid, or it could be a nuclear seedling and a clone of the parent.

Patty S.

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 4:23PM
blazeaglory(10 SZ22/24 OC Ca)

Krakenqueen...First...Listen to Patty!! Second...Go check out the Citrus forum!

:-)

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 11:22PM
calliope(6)

You can buy those cheap tomato cages at most dollar stores. They aren't much good for tomatoes, but we keep them handy to place around small tree saplings to flag us to keep clear with equipment. They can be left in place for a few years and the nice part is the wire is open enough, you can actually reach in to weed, or work on the tree.

Bookmark   June 1, 2012 at 10:06AM
More Discussions
Apple Tree Help - Thank you!
Hello, I have four different varieties of small (starting...
kailunkat
Lime Sulphur spray--I feel like I was just robbed by Hi-yield
I have no idea why Hi-yield (or maybe it's the sellers)...
dave_7b
Converting typhoon damaged hillside forest to blueberry plantation
Hello all We've recently obtained a small strip of...
theniceguy
plum truble
I have a gold plum tree aprox 5years old. It has always...
john zone 8
Thinning Pears
I have several varieties of pear trees (Bartlett, Comics,...
walterdavidwilson
Sponsored Products
Pasha Collection Solid French Border Sage Green 5'3 x 6'11 Area Rug
Overstock.com
3'x10' Denim Blue Super Kazakh Rug Hand Knotted Runner 100% Wool Sh18119
1800 Get A Rug
Versailles Polished Chrome 8 Light Crystal Chandelier with Cut Crystal Bead Stra
$568.10 | Bellacor
Mira Fizz 33 1/2" Wide Polished Chrome Bath Light
Lamps Plus
ET2 Wand 24" Wide Polished Chrome LED Bathroom Light
Euro Style Lighting
Dublin Arbor
Grandin Road
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™