apple trees - did I learn something important?

oldryderMay 21, 2012

looking for comments or advice on the following:

planted 50 bare root apple trees spring 2009. No blossoms 2010 and 2011, a few this year mostly killed by cold. trees were mulched with wood chips from the beginning and mulch was refreshed annually. I did transplant a few of these 3 year old trees this year and they were not root bound.

started adding urea last year based on advice here on foruum which has helped growth a lot.

Last spring planted 5 trees along the outside edge of pond dike. Knew it might be too wet.

One of the 5 trees on the dike (NW Greening Semi D) has done far better than any other tree I;ve ever planted. Lots of blossoms this year with subsequent apple buds (is that the right term?). This tree was in a spot that was much wetter than the others on the dike and all the rest of my trees; wet enough I thought it might die.

the performance of this tree has me asking myself if all my trees are short of water.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
windfall_rob(vt4)

It could be, but sometimes you just get a really strong vigorous tree.
Don't you wish they all could be like that!

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 11:09AM
alan haigh

Might be too wet?. If you take a ball of soil in your hands squeeze and water comes out like a sponge- too wet. If it feels quite moist but you can't squeeze out water, it's probably right for optimum tree growth. There is a point way before trees wilt when growth slows and the right balance of air and water is usually the most important factor in tree vigor.

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 12:02PM
Randy31513(Georgia 8b)

You did not mention if the trees were dwarf, semidwark or standard. Standard trees can take several years to bloom.

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 4:10PM
oldryder

the vast majority are demi-D, only a few are dwarf. none are on std rootstock. seems like I should have had abundant flowers this year with trees experiencing their 4th spring.

based on harvestmans post I'll do a little digging and check moisture content in the primary orchard area.

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 5:02PM
More Discussions
Apple varieties evaluations 2005-2015
Hi some people here several months ago asked for a...
Scott F Smith
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Looking for really early (blooming) pear
I have a Hood pear that blooms very early, usually...
jbclem
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™