Delaying trees comming out of dormancy

twm2340(7a)May 17, 2012

Lost most of my peaches plums and nectarines to late frost.

I would like to know if anyone has experience, or thinks a thick mulch out to the dripline might have delayed flowering by a week or so? I can get enough to put a 6 inch layer, and protect the trunk from rodents. Dont want to go through the trouble and expence if it is probably a waste, as I dont have any way of keeping the buds cold.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
franktank232(z5 WI)

Nope... not a chance. Proof was this year. I had peaches with FROZEN roots that were leafing out because air temps were so mild in March. I know they were frozen because they were seedlings and I was digging them up to be moved and I had to break through a layer of ice in the soil. For what I've seen this year, air temps play a much larger roll then soil temps.

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 11:13AM
twm2340(7a)

Thanks for your input. I found suorces saying it will delay bud break, but wanted first hand knowledge. Too much of what you read on the web needs to be taken with a grain of salt. I found this article just now, and will try it with the latex paint on one apricot tree next year.

Here is a link that might be useful: alginate gel

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 1:12PM
fabaceae_native

I agree with franktank... the only thing that really helps to delay flowering is to plant the tree in a cold microclimate (soil and air are cooler). This can buy you a few days, which is more in some cases than a so-called late flowering cultivar will provide.

This year I also noticed a marked difference in the duration of bloom among different peach varieties. J.H. Hale bloomed for a much much longer period than any of the others (Elberta, Reliance, Belle of Georgia, and a couple unknown varieties). This could be due to the fact that it is self-infertile, or possibly because it is a new tree, planted just last fall.

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 1:15PM
twm2340(7a)

Fabaceae, I had something similar. Artic sweet, artic jay
honey kist and honey blaze, bloomed before the rest of the peaches and necatrines.
The upper branches have a few fruits that are about golf ball size. Mixed in with them are lots of small fruits about 1/2 inch long. The lower branches have nothing. On all of the peach and nectarines, the upper branches have normal size fruit. The lower brancher are bare. They are the only ones with this mismatch. I guess the frost settled on the lower branches. I am looking to see where I can get a few lbs of the alginate gel cheap.

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 12:38PM
More Discussions
Cherry tree damage from storm
Top third of cherry tree snapped off by falling limb...
jimfnc7
Are these roots that are forming on a callery pear cutting in water?
As you may know, i took cuttings of a flowering pear...
tlbean2004
hewes crab apple
looking for 10 or so scions. of course i will pay....
randymontana
Source for Hidden Rose Apple?
Looking for a tree or scions but seem to be coming...
jsvand5
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™