Cherry leaf curl

serge94501May 16, 2013

Any idea what might be causing this and what I can do to get the tree healthy? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

Thats usually black cherry aphids, uncurl the leaves and look for aphids.

They are hard to reach with sprays. If you only have a little bit spray insecticidal soap and use one hand to open up the leaves while you spray in. Apply a band of tanglefoot to the trunk to keep the ants off the tree, if there are no ants to move the aphids around they will fade. If you don't apply the tanglefoot they will keep coming back. I had major problems for about five years with these guys, until I got smart with the tanglefoot.

Scott

Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 11:07AM
serge94501

Thank you so much! I will find out what tanglefoot is and get some and put it around the trunk. I am mixing up a batch of soap spray right now.

Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 11:57AM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

Put a band of tanglefoot all the way around the trunk, say 1' off the ground. Make sure there is no other way for ants to get on the tree. To avoid hurting the trunk first put down duct tape and then put the tanglefoot on the duct tape. Make sure there are no tunnels under the tape, check back and see if ants found a way around or under and patch the leak. Collectively ants can be smart, but with a little work we can out-smart them.

Scott

Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 1:07PM
More Discussions
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
Blackberries in the age of SWD
It seems that spotted wing Drosophila is making blackberry...
marc5
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
Damage to Honeycrisp tree (photo)
I planted this Honeycrisp apple tree a week ago and...
Edwin Turlington
What is wrong with my Blueberry plant?
Hi, My blueberry (rabbiteye) plant seems to have developed...
bopwinter
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™