Apple Tree Newbie Has Leaf Problems

macgregor(6MA)May 7, 2012

I have 3 dwarf apple trees, a red delicious, golden delicious, and a macintosh. They are on the edge of my vegetable garden. All 3 leafed out beautifully, and then bam! something ate holes in the new leaves and ate the buds from the blossoms as well seemingly overnight.

I am assuming it was some kind of caterpillar that I missed. I haven't seen any though. Could it have been sparrows? Do they eat tree buds? We had a lot of them in our yard for a couple of days. It seemed like overnight the tree leaves and buds were wrecked.

Also, what should I do with my trees now? Prune those leaves off and wait till next year?

I am very new at this. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Don't prune off anything green. The tree needs that for photosynthesis. Sparrows don't eat leaves neither does any other bird. Sometimes birds do eat fruit buds. An insect is much more likely but if leaf loss is severe you should see something.

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 11:18AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
macgregor(6MA)

Thanks, if I hadn't read your post I might've trimmed off those leaves. I will keep an eye out for whatever it is that I missed that's done damage.

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 11:29AM
More Discussions
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
How to shape this Grape Vine
Here is a grafted Perlette Grape Vine growing in it's...
dan8_gw (Northern California Zone 9A)
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
My Backyard planting experience (so far) - Zone 4a/b Quebec, Cana
Hello all, When starting out I have found this forum...
hungryfrozencanuck
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™