bark grafted pecans yesterday, trunks all wet today

cousinfloydMay 1, 2013

I topworked two pecan trees yesterday following the example on Bill Reid's blog for a modified rind graft. Today the trunks are all wet below the graft area. Is that a sign that the grafts aren't going to take? Should I take off the coverings and start again a little lower down? Should I leave it be but do something different next time?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucky_p

E,
I sometimes get excessive bleeding, flooding the grafts.
Don't know if grafting 'by the signs' would help, but I pretty much have to do 'em when I can steal a few minutes here and there to get out in the orchard.
I've had old-timers recommend beheading the rootstock - and waiting 'til they stop bleeding before grafting - may take one day, or a week or more.
Another technique which I use frequently - though I can't swear that it necessarily works any better - is the 'Sap-stopper modification of the Gray Graft'. Essentially, it's a simple bark graft - but instead of completely beheading the understock, you just cut about 3/4 of the way through and 'break over' the still-attached top, to act as a sap-drawer or 'relief-valve' of sorts.
Did a couple this morning, but it's still a bit early on many of my seedlings - look at Dr. Reid's most recent post.

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 5:07PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

In grapes which bleed like bloody Mary, I believe they make a cut below the graft to bleed off the excess sap. That might be worth a try. But I have no real experience on either.

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 5:28PM
lucky_p

The guy who taught me to 3-4-flap graft does a couple of incomplete 'girdling' cuts just below the graft - not removing any bark, just a quick couple of knife swipes most of the way around the stem of the rootstock; they callus back across, but I guess also serve as a 'relief' valve of sorts - and probably also help to keep auxins concentrated above the girdling cuts to augment callusing.

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 10:16AM
cousinfloyd

Thank you both for the feedback and advice. Lucky, I grafted a couple black walnuts yesterday and tried doing the 3/4 of the way through and break over still attached thing. Thanks, Eric

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 8:38PM
More Discussions
Trimming overgrown avocado tree then graft?
Dear gardenweb community, I am hoping to hear some...
funlul
Zone 5 fruit and nut trees Northeast, Nebraska
Hello, I have an acreage near Allen, NE and I would...
cheeta64
can anyone know what kind of this tree is?
Recently I found a tree at my backyard got a lot of...
Athena Lu
Looks like no pears this year.
We have gotten a lot of chill hours this year for the...
insteng
Extreme Cold
Looks like I won't be seeing any peaches and plums...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™