Raspberries near a raised bed? How bad is root spread?

ffreidlMay 19, 2014

I have 3 beautiful red raspberry plants (Caroline) which need planting. I originally thought I'd like to plant them near my raised beds for convenience - they would be about 1.5 - 2 ft max from the nearest bed which will have strawberries and possibly asparagus.

Am I going to have a problem with the raspberry roots invading the nearby bed? Will that create too much competition for the strawberries?

Your help and suggestions are greatly appreciated! Anybody out there growing raspberries near other food plants? How are you keeping the roots in-bounds?

I gather from other posts that even if I make a raised bed in that location solely for the raspberries, the roots may spread out all over anyway...?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beeman_gardener(5)

You can keep them under control easily. When you see them intruding into another space, just pull them out.
I run a small tiller down the side of the row, this trims the roots back so they don't spread.
I am just moving a row, needs re-newing, and they haven't spread away from their original space.
You could use the plants removed to expand the row.

This post was edited by beeman_gardener on Mon, May 19, 14 at 12:58

Bookmark   May 19, 2014 at 12:56PM
galinas

I wouldn't plant raspberries near strawberry bed. They grow most vigorously at time of strawberry harvesting. If you pull out at this time, you, first, disturb much more shallow strawberry roots in the hot weather and, second, disturbing the soil can start gray mold spreading on you berries. Only choice you have in this case not to pull, but just cut the green parts. It will not stop them from growing, but will let sun to get to your strawberries. Raspberries like reach soil. If you have well cultivated row and original soil outside of it, they will not spread much assuming you do proper pruning . But as soon as there are some better or equal places to grow - they will start moving. I have shoots here and there as far as 5 feet from original planting side.

Bookmark   May 19, 2014 at 9:21PM
ffreidl

Thank you both for your responses. Sorry it took me so long to find my way back to this post!

So, doesn't look so hopeless after all. I think I'll try it. If it doesn't work, I can always move 'em, I guess.

Thanks again!

Bookmark   May 31, 2014 at 5:47PM
More Discussions
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™