help with peach tree

sara7worthington(5)May 10, 2013

Hi i bought this tree last year. It was labeled o henry and was six foot tall when i planted it. Question is there is gold and clear sap leaking in several spots and ants are eating it but the tree seems ok other than that

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sara7worthington(5)

There is a hole at the base of the tree with a sluglike thing inside. removed and killed slugthing now what do i do to treat the tree?

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 12:22PM
sara7worthington(5)

There is a hole at the base of the tree with a sluglike thing inside. removed and killed slugthing now what do i do to treat the tree?

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 12:50PM
gatorguy1885(8b)

That is a larvae of the peach tree borer and they are the sworn enemy of any owner of peach trees. I went through 3 or 4 peach trees till I figured this out. First of all make sure there aren't anymore holes with them in it. Uncover some soil around the base of the tree. There may be more down there. I would mix some sevin concentrate and dump it all around the base. This year I'm not taking any chances. I painted the trunk with white latex exterior paint and then wrapped the bottom of the tree with strips of old t shirt and smeared tree tanglefoot goop on it to stop future adult borers from landing.
Hope this helps. If anyone else has any suggestions I'd like to hear em.

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 6:23PM
sara7worthington(5)

Hi i googled a picture of peach borers an they look like little catepillars digging tunnels. this looked like a small version of the three inch slugs that invade my basement and it wasnt digging tunnels it was eating the bark off the base of the tree and it wasnt tunneling in. i treated it like other slugs i knocked it off the tree and used table salt to melt it. there are no deep holes in the tree. but in the dirt around the tree are a bunch of tiny clear eggs. i have sevin will this still work for that. whatever the little eggs are. there are alot of ants around the tree but these dont look like ant eggs so these could be the borers right?

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 6:52PM
sara7worthington(5)

Hi i googled a picture of peach borers an they look like little catepillars digging tunnels. this looked like a small version of the three inch slugs that invade my basement and it wasnt digging tunnels it was eating the bark off the base of the tree and it wasnt tunneling in. i treated it like other slugs i knocked it off the tree and used table salt to melt it. there are no deep holes in the tree. but in the dirt around the tree are a bunch of tiny clear eggs. i have sevin will this still work for that. whatever the little eggs are. there are alot of ants around the tree but these dont look like ant eggs so these could be the borers right?

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 6:57PM
sara7worthington(5)

Sorry about the repeats my phone is acting up and i cant help it

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 7:12PM
sara7worthington(5)

Sorry about the repeats my phone is acting up and i cant help it

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 7:37PM
More Discussions
Are these roots that are forming on a callery pear cutting in water?
As you may know, i took cuttings of a flowering pear...
tlbean2004
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Apple varieties evaluations 2005-2015
Hi some people here several months ago asked for a...
Scott F Smith
Calling all Sweetcrisp owners!!!
Dear Sweetcrisp owners, Over here in Australia we are...
raadster
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™