pruning apple ?

john222-gg(Mississippi 8a/8b)May 7, 2013

This is my yellow delicious.The limbs seem to be getting to long.All the blooms come out on the very ends of the limbs.It is making apples but should I cut it back to shorter limbs?I know it looks like I should take some of the limbs out just not sure which one not real good at all this.Some suggestions sure would be nice.I will really appreciate all help.Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
manoaction

John,

You should prune pretty much every year and ideally you should prune in late winter when the try is still dormant.

There are lots of instructional videos around explaining how. I like the Stark Bros. videos for a quick explanation if you don't know where to start googling.

The quick version is this....

Apples need a central leader type pruning so they look like a classic ball shaped bunch of branches above the trunk with a main strong branch in the center. (compared with pears and other trees that have a vase shape)

In general, on a young tree, you want to trim back 1/4 of the last years growth near a bud with a 45 degree cut.

In general, on a young tree, you also want to space the branches about 6 inches or so from each other to keep them spaced properly.

You might be a bit late in the year to do pruning, but like I said, you should make it an annual part of your tree care.

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 1:10PM
More Discussions
Grafting acocados
I am grafting an avocado tree. Is it alright to graft...
tim45z10
can anyone know what kind of this tree is?
Recently I found a tree at my backyard got a lot of...
Athena Lu
Early-Spring and General Spray Questions for 4-yr old Maryland Orchard
Hi all, I planted the following fruit trees in Spring...
lindsgardeninmd
What type of grafting tape do you use?
Last year I used electric tape and got about 98% success...
Mike Hughes
Will these plum tree buds be damaged by frosts we will have next week
This is my bruce plum tree. The buds have started to...
tlbean2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™