trap crops?

cousinfloydMay 11, 2013

Is there any potential for trap crops with insect pests like plum curc, OFM...? In other words, are there tree fruits that are highly attractive to insects that I could grow just to draw insect pests away from other trees and then sacrifice the more attractive fruits to eliminate the next generation of insect pests? Is this kind of tactic employed by anyone on any scale with tree fruits?

A lot of my tree fruits are just getting mature enough to begin fruiting, so I've got a lot to learn yet about insect pests, but I'm seeing a lot of signs of plum curculio this year and I had some kind of worm (OFM?) in a significant portion of my Asian pears last year. I have a strong preference for homegrown (as opposed to purchased and especially non-organic) solutions, even to the extent that I'm willing to give up on a lot of the particular fruits I have growing now if they're going to completely depend on purchased insect/disease controls, but I definitely want to learn about any options for reasonable cultural controls, even if they're not a complete solution.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mrsg47(7)

Wouldn't planting those trees/crops draw even more nasty insects to the site? The best example I can think of if 'Bag-a-Bug' from the 80's that only brought in hoards of Japanese beetles.

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 12:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MrClint

I like the way you think, cousinfloyd! There is some info out there on using trap crops for curculio. Follow the links for some great recommendations. The idea, which is brilliant, is to push the insects away from your good trees with surround, then pull the insects to the trap tree(s) where you wage an organic pesticide battle with them there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic management of plum curculio

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 2:28PM
More Discussions
Window blinds, fence wire, electric engraver, drill, and pliers
What can make with window blinds, fence wire, electric...
2010champsbcs
Growing Anything Under A Black Walnut Tree
Hi Gang.....maybe someone here has a solution or idea,...
Greenhorn2
Blue Berries-acid soil and other vegetable plants
I have been growing blue berry plants intermixed with...
RonCz
Any idea what's causing this on my blueberry?
A couple of the newer branches are turning black at...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
can you scrape off canker
i've read that when growing season is strong, such...
johndoug
Sponsored Products
Retro-Inspired Motor Lodge Art Print
$28.99 | Dot & Bo
Brown Diamonds Aqua Shield Doormat
$19.99 | zulily
Scroll Stair Treads
Grandin Road
Solid Hand Woven Coir Extra Thick Doormat Multicolor - 99F-L
$69.99 | Hayneedle
Ventura PowerLED Steel Recessed LED Marine Light
Lamps Plus