cle, oh container figs still not leafing out

lawanddisorder(6)May 29, 2014

Hi,

I have 3 figs (CHI Hardy, Brown Turkey, and a generic everbearing hardy fig that was supposedly hardy to zone 6) and they are all in pots, overwintered in my garage, and are all still completely dormant (or maybe dead?).

I scratched them and they are still green, but we've had temps in the 60s, 70s and hotter the past 2 - 3 weeks and I would've expected them to be leafing out by now.

Any other Cleveland Ohio fig growers with container grown figs? Should I be worried?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tony(Zone 5. Omaha, Nebraska)

Law,

Green is a good signs. My got completely killed to the ground and now they are about 4 inches tall. Give them a little more time.

Tony

Bookmark   May 29, 2014 at 12:11PM
coloradogardener2009(6)

I would agree.. I had about 8 different varieties growing in Colorado and sometimes it took some of them a little longer to leaf out.. some were slow where others were very fast to leaf out.. give the H20 and lots of sun and it will be fine..

Bookmark   May 29, 2014 at 1:02PM
ahassel4u(z6-7, NY Metro)

I accidentally left my containerized Brown Turkey outdoors for the winter in 2012-13 (usually overwinters in unheated basement). The following spring I kept looking for signs of growth/survival and finally gave up at the end of June - I stuck the pot in some out-of-the-way corner to deal with later. In early August, I was grooming for company and notice sprouting on my supposedly "dead" fig! This past winter it stayed in the basement and is back to normal this spring. Don't give up on yours!

Bookmark   May 29, 2014 at 11:35PM
JoppaRich(7b)

Mine just leafed out in the last couple weeks, and I"m a couple hundred miles south of you. Give it time.

Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 9:07PM
More Discussions
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
Loquat tree
My darn tree has stopped sending energy to the fruit....
tim45z10
My First Grape Vine - Need Help!
I just purchased my very first grape vine (concord)....
lekennedy4
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™