Bareroot Strawberries

fishacuraMay 5, 2012

Just planted my first ever strawberries. Ordered them from Nourse on many of your suggestions. I was expecting plants but these were bareroots. Will they provide fruit this year or will it be a year away? Thanks!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buckyz4

Yes, they can produce strawberrys this year. The question is if they should. If they are June bearing strawberries, the blossoms should be removed to help produce stronger plants for next year. If you leave them on you will get a few strawberries, but could reduce next years crop. I have never grown everbearing strawberry's but I understand you would let them grow berries this year.

Bookmark   May 5, 2012 at 11:58AM
fishacura

OK...I have some of both. Of course they weren't labeled so I don't know which is which :( so I'll just let them grow.

Bookmark   May 5, 2012 at 12:56PM
fruitmaven.WIz5(5)

Even the everbearing strawberries should have their blossoms removed for a month or so, I think you can let them set fruit after July 1st. My neighbor boy let his tiny strawberries blossom, they set two fruits and dies by the end of summer. They really need some time to establish.

Bookmark   May 5, 2012 at 2:33PM
ltilton

Not labeled? That's not what I'd expect from Nourse.

Bookmark   May 5, 2012 at 2:34PM
mrsg47(7)

Hi, Fruitmaven is right. Leave the NEXT set of blossom on and you'll have one small crop this year. Remember to fence them in and cover the fence with bird netting, to keep out birds and SQUIRRELS!!!! Use small gauge chicken wire. Rabbits can be a problem too if you have them. Squirrels will eat your berries when they start to get rather large but are still green. More than annoying! Mrs. G

Bookmark   May 5, 2012 at 9:21PM
fishacura

That might be a problem...We ran out of room so I planted them in an ornamental area of the yard. My wife was already suspect and if I run wire/netting she'd laugh me out of the house. I'll have to suffer with the birds/squirels and see how I make out ;-)

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 9:51AM
More Discussions
How does well water with Rust affect pH?
We use well water with lots of rust in it. Will it...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
First Bench Grafts Using a Fieldcraft Topgrafter
Hi all, I've been patiently waiting for signs of life...
gardener365
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™