Study finds sweet alyssum plantings keep woolly apple aphid out o

molexMay 15, 2013

Interesting read

Here is a link that might be useful: Flower power fights orchard pests

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pinc06(6b)

Thanks for that link molex. I've been fighting those aphids by grafting onto Geneva resistant rootstock, but not all my trees are switched over yet. So easy to throw some inexpensive seeds down to make pretty flowers. Of course I don't expect miracles, but every little bit can help.

Pam in cinti

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 8:43PM
MomOfRockyThePug(6b)

I saw this report as well and planted alyssum around my three apple trees. Only one was showing signs of the wooly aphid, but I thought it was a good idea to try to protect them all. Plus, alyssum is a lovely little flower so they look really nice! I will let you know how it turns out this year.

Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 1:07PM
pinc06(6b)

Mom o Rocky, which 3 apples do you have and which one had the aphid problem? I try very hard to avoid chemicals (I know, sometimes it is unavoidable) and I'd love to know which 2 held up well. I'm a sucker for a granny smith and my poor little tree was decorated like halloween decor, I plan to plant Gold Rush hoping for similar punchy flavor and less problems, but it will be at least a year till I get toit.

Pam in cinti

Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 5:09PM
alexander3_gw(6 Pennsylvania)

It's nice to see this formally demonstrated and published. The described benefit of planting nectary plants has been widely accepted among the organic and permaculture groups for a long time. I see the benefit every spring in my garden: the first flush of growth on many plants get aphids, soon there are a bunch of hoverflies and ladybugs hanging around the nectary plants, and within a couple weeks, the aphids are all but gone.

A great thing about alyssum is that once it gets started, it keeps on flowering the whole season

Alex

Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 11:45PM
More Discussions
Damage to Honeycrisp tree (photo)
I planted this Honeycrisp apple tree a week ago and...
Edwin Turlington
What is wrong with my Blueberry plant?
Hi, My blueberry (rabbiteye) plant seems to have developed...
bopwinter
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
Looks like no pears this year.
We have gotten a lot of chill hours this year for the...
insteng
Toxic Waste:
I have been told by a Nursery friend of mine not to...
loneranger_grow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™