wondering about shade cloth substitute

cousinfloydMay 8, 2013

I'm thinking there must be something I can scavenge in the woods (or fields, etc.) that I can use as a substitute for shade cloth for young pawpaw trees. If I have a framework of sticks or bamboo what can lay over it for shade? Are there particular species of trees that will hold their leaves for several months? Pine trees maybe? Any other ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

Perhaps that white fleece/row cover.

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 9:17PM
carolync1(z8/9 CA inland)

Row cover holds in heat in many applications. One consideration. If you put up a teepee with enough bamboo, you might not need other shade for a young tree. When you mention pine trees, are you wondering about permanent shade? I think pines are often shallow-rooted and could interfere with the pawpaw's roots.

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 9:35PM
cousinfloyd

No -- I wasn't very clear on that -- I'm not thinking of a live pine tree. I was thinking of cutting some branches off a pine tree and using them for shade. I've used tree branches several times before for temporary shade for new plantings, but for pawpaws the problem would be that most tree species only hold their leaves for a week or so after being cut off. I'm wondering what I might use for shade like a tree branch that won't wither up and stop providing shade so quickly. Does anyone use anything organic (as in live or formerly alive) for shade structures (like for pawpaws)?

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 8:05AM
More Discussions
My First Grape Vine - Need Help!
I just purchased my very first grape vine (concord)....
lekennedy4
Looks like no pears this year.
We have gotten a lot of chill hours this year for the...
insteng
Bareroot pruning of a multi-branched nectarine?
Just picked up a bareroot Snow Queen and it has several...
brownmola
What type of grafting tape do you use?
Last year I used electric tape and got about 98% success...
Mike Hughes
best tasting pomegranate
I recall an article in CRFG about a year ago about...
markintexas123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™